lost it all ( almost )

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

lost it all ( almost )

Postby pabucklessduckhunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi everyone ,
My first post here on the PA section . thought you all might enjoy this story
floated a local creek with a buddy in SE PA. Everything was going good for awhile , slight fog hid us nicely
had some nice opportunities ,had some poor shooting, I had one good shot, dropped my first redhead ! unreal for my area.
kept going saw a lot more ducks buddy had gun problems more missed chances! And then we carelessly left are small flat bottom get pinned up against a tree blow down ..... we were trying to figure out how to get out of this tight spot when our boat started going under the tree forcing us to shift our weight to the upstream side ......swamping it in seconds ! we managed to grab on to tree an watch the boat an everything roll away in current .......guns , redhead ,and all gone :crying: . Managed to grab 2 packs and a paddle and crawl to shore . any ideas to retrieve guns out of 4' -7' of fast water ? !! wow :eek:
pabucklessduckhunter
hunter

Re: lost it all ( almost )

Postby Spunky » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Get some clothes line and tie on one of those super heavy lift magnets, you can them at Harbor freight for around $10. Keep bouncing around where you lost the guns. If you know someone that has one of those under water cameras it will speed up the process. One thing I always do when in a boat is tie the gun case to a empty bleach bottle just in case. It's easier to see than just a floating gun case. A buddy of mine had his gun leaning up against the gunall when the boat came to close to a tree and it knocked the gun right out of the boat. He spent 2 days trying to get the gun back.
Spunky
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

What creek?
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby pabucklessduckhunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 am

Hey thanks for the response !
I'll have to try the magnet trick ! Just hoping the water level drops soon
pabucklessduckhunter
hunter

Postby BRKbill » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:12 am

i would check with the Local Fire Department...sometimes they have recovery tools such as power magnets or drag hooks....I know our department has a couple guys that have private Metal detectors and would get a kick out of doing that kind of stuff....just to help you out. I would bet that most guys would not mind lending a hand.....my brother in law used to be a rescue diver and he was always training...then he helped a guy find an outboard motor that came off a small boat ...in 50 feet of water...no charge just enjoyed the thrill of helping...his health doesn't allow him to dive anymore but most guys are good about that stuff
BRKbill
hunter

Postby Rigg-A-Mortis » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Hey man. My passion after hunting season, is spearfishing. I have gear which I can dive comfortably right now, and I'm also located in your part of the state. Ironically enough, we had redheads at our private creek spot last week, and I'm willing to take a dive if it happens to be near where I'm at. Feel free to pm me.
Rigg-A-Mortis
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 am

Thats good stuff right there and one hell of an offer.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pabucklessduckhunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 am

yes good stuff after we had our feet on dry land !! still bugs me I lost the drake red head .... would have went on the wall , o well !
Yes I pm'd him , we are a little far apart to make it work so we'll see what I can dream up . water levels just aren't dropping much
pabucklessduckhunter
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm

I almost thought I was reading my post from a few years back for a second haha
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby pabucklessduckhunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 pm

yea ..... I've heard plenty of stories like this , it's just crazy how fast you can become the next one :oops:
pabucklessduckhunter
hunter

Postby pabucklessduckhunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:35 pm

well we had a diver out but the current was so strong he couldn't get close to where the boat rolled . At least we tried !

I got a stoeger m3500 to replace my gun like it so far , we will see how it holds up .
pabucklessduckhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowler4444 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:34 pm

was it the Perkiomen Creek by chance?
waterfowler4444
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting