New guide

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

New guide

Postby Dutchhill » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Hello everyone I have a few questions on guiding hunts in pa. We are looking to start an outfitter business in NW pa. I have access to both private exclusive hunting rights and lots of public spots. What is required to start being a guide? And what would be a fair price per day for a good guide, no lodging, low expense meals, no extravagant blinds just good at concealing. We would set out decoys, clean birds, retrieve birds, have all gear not including guns and ammo, and a guide would carry one gun for cripples only
Dutchhill
hunter

Re: New guide

Postby Dr^ke » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:25 am

$50-$100 a day. Really depends on your customer success. If the hunting is hit or miss I'd say closer to $50. If your killing birds consistently closer to $100. PA isn't a great duck state where your going to get a lot of shooting like the Mississippi flyway or maybe even the Chesapeake. I'm not saying you won't have any good shoots in PA but if you are looking at it from a business stand point I don't think PA is going to produce day in and day out for you. Also keep in mind that people aren't traveling to PA to hunt ducks like say Arkansas or Louisiana. Your clients are probably going to be from in state looking to hunt a day here or there for whatever reason. I'd say start off by keeping it affordable and cheap so people give you a look and consideration and if your reputation or business grows adjust your price accordingly. Keep in mind no one knows who you are so you have to appeal to the customer with price otherwise if not they will just go with someone they know or have heard of. Just my .2.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby Dutchhill » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it
Dutchhill
hunter

Postby 001kds » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 pm

let me save you some time and any secret spots you may have. NWPA isn't a waterfowl mecca that you can kill enough birds day in and day out to run a legit guide service. Also you can not guide on game lands or private land that is enrolled in the PGC farm co-op. That's going to cut out a huge chunk of land you can hunt.
And are you willing to take some john doe hunters clients to some secret spots you do have and then the next time you go there with or without clients to hunt you find those same john doe hunters in those secret spots because either they were public or they went and got permission.
Some guys get this idea in their head that hey we got some spots where we kill birds we should start a guide service and make some money back from all the gear we've had to purchase over the years.
It's not worth it in my book to sacrifice my secret hot spots that I have worked so hard over the years to find or get permission for to have some john doe hunter scab it from under me for the $50 or $150 you charge them.
If you plan on locking down some hot goose fields it takes thousands of dollars in leases to farmers that you will most likely not make back from clients. At least not here in nwpa.
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:23 pm

About 16 years ago I leased a real hot spot just over the line in Ohio. This place was a goose killing spot that I would have put up against just about anywhere in North America. I guided exactly three groups of hunters on separate occasions. The first group of guys I had with me were ok but one guy brought his 10ga sxs with him. After he loaded his shells and then proceeded to close the gun the dam thing went off firing both barrels without him ever touching the triggers. He cut his hand really bad when it fired, and we were done for the day. I refunded the money and told them to all take a walk. Another group that booked the Sept opener was disappointed that we shot our limit of 40 birds in under 1/2 hour. They cried and whined that the hunt was too quick and would never be back. I kept their money but never heard from any of them again. The last group that I took out went back after the hunt and tried to scoop my field out from under me. Bottom line was: I didn't make any money, I didn't have any fun while I was out there with these clients, and lastly I don't need people trying to take my spots when I have worked hard to acquire them. Don't waste your time because it just isn't worth it........... :fingerhead:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Dutchhill » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Well the difference is my family owns 9000 acres with quite a bit of good hunting land. We will get it listed as commercial regulated hunting grounds so no one is going to be stealing my spots. The places on private land we don't own wouldn't be for clients
Dutchhill
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Do you think your spots can produce limits on a regular basis for 4-5 man groups? I know anytime I've gone on a guided hunt my expectations were to see lots of birds and harvest limits. Now obviously this didn't always happen but when you pay for the hunt your standards are extremely high. I could care less if I don't limit when I'm hunting my own spot but if I pay, the expectation is there and something you have to think about. What is going to happen to your business if a couple groups of hunters come and its a slow day and you didn't shoot any? Chances are those guys aren't going to recommend you and get online and say negative things. In PA your not going to have a large cliental so this could put you under fast. I'm not trying to put you down I'm just trying to give you my perspective as a consumer/ hunter.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby Dutchhill » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Well I don't know how many birds use the area yet. I want to give it a year or so of low hunting pressure and increase local breeding populations of wood ducks, teal, and mallards by building nest boxes, trapping snapping turtles, and planting food sources then seeing what populations I have to work with. For geese we have a ton around so goose hunts wouldn't be too difficult to set up
Dutchhill
hunter

Postby PADuck » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:27 am

I'd say start with a low price and see how it goes. Build a reputation for being G good then people are more willing to pay more to go with you. Good luck.
PADuck
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting