Early Season Geese

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Early Season Geese

Postby TRL91 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Just wondering what strategies you have for going after the early season honkers. Do you have better luck hunting water or fields? We normally go after them over water but its hard because they don't really seem to leave the area. We know where they are but when we try to setup we bust them out and when we try and stay back they never leave the water.
TRL91
hunter

Re: Early Season Geese

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:31 am

I shoot fields 99% of the time for honkers. I'll only shoot water if I'm 100% sure it's a loafing spot. Whatever you do, don't blow up the roost.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby Spunky » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:59 am

I usually don't hunt the early season. Birds are to stupid. Don't enjoy shooting birds that don't know anything. I prefer to shoot them in January when I get more satisfaction knowng that I took an educated bird.

Where I hunt the birds are scattered on the lake so if you shoot at one spot they won't move until you put to much pressure on them. Change locations and you can get birds every day if your so inclined to do so. They will just move to a different part of the lake. The only way I would field hunt is if there are a lot of birds coming in to a field that saw different groups of birds arriving daily. If not as soon as you fire the first shots the birds will quickly find a diffferent field to feed in. At this time of the year food is every where. They don't have to move at all to feed.

From the days I've spent on the lake this year (120 +) there is an over abundance of geese this year. Should be an easy resident season for those people who go out. I'll wait until November to start hunting them. Good luck.
Spunky
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 pm

PAwaterfowldominator wrote:I shoot fields 99% of the time for honkers. I'll only shoot water if I'm 100% sure it's a loafing spot. Whatever you do, don't blow up the roost.

^X2

I like my buddies' fields.

Spunky:
As far as wisdom, the geese in my part of W. PA wise up quickly. They are a true challenge by the second week in my parts; they have their PhD's by the fourth. I need all the tricks by then.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 am

A good day to be out. Weather and wind were all perfect and I finished my SJBP limit by 8:10 out of two small flocks that came right in. Only needed minimal calling as they were relatively quiet. Second flock almost landed in the sweet spot. Good to be out again. Can't wait until Oct. 11th............. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:17 pm

I thought early goose ended on the 25th.my buddy took my boat out on pymie Saturday to do alittle bass fishing.(I had to work).he got up near bay 41 and said there were 2 groups of guy's blasting away.decoys out plenty of geese flying around.i wish I was informed of the change.i can't believe a goose hunter wouldn't be able to read.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:31 am

bassmaster624 wrote:I thought early goose ended on the 25th.my buddy took my boat out on pymie Saturday to do alittle bass fishing.(I had to work).he got up near bay 41 and said there were 2 groups of guy's blasting away.decoys out plenty of geese flying around.i wish I was informed of the change.i can't believe a goose hunter wouldn't be able to read.

Were they Junior hunters??
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:25 am

Yea youth hunt was the 27th for north and n. west duck zones.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting