One cheesehead lost in Eastern PA

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

One cheesehead lost in Eastern PA

Postby maurerbj21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I really hate having to put something like this out here but I could really use some advice and help on places to duck hunt in Eastern PA Wilke-Barre/Scranton area. I also don't think having to drive 2-3 hours to duck hunt is far. I recently accepted a job promotion through my company which will require me to move. I choose Northeast PA because it’s just far enough away from the cities and the cost of living is more affordable.
I’ve been duck hunting since I was 12 and I have only duck hunted in Wisconsin. The toughest part is going to be moving away from family, friends, the area I grew up where I have hunted and fished my whole life. I’ve set the date with my company to move the first week of December, our last week to hunt ducks in Wisconsin. I wanted to have one more year duck hunting with friends before I left.
I would really like to get to know some people who live in the Wilke-Barre/Scranton area who duck hunt and fish. My biggest asset I can bring to the table are my 8 dozen puddler decoys, 2.5 dozen diver decoys, 1 dozen GHG full body mallards, two layout blinds (Avery Finishers), 3 mojos ( 2 teal, 1 mallard), and last but not my least I will be bringing my new rig I bought in April my 1542 SeaArk aluminum all welded mod. V bottom with my brand new Mud Buddy 23 hd/sd mini lite mud motor on the back, it also has an avery quick set blind attached with grass mats all around. It’s definitely my pride and joy. I planned on being in Wisconsin a lot longer when I initially bought it but I love it so there’s no way I wouldn’t bring it with me.
The biggest question I have is whether or not my boat and motor will have any use out there? It’s also set up for bass fishing so I plan on doing that once the spring rolls around. It’s really tough to find information on water fowling in eastern PA so I am hoping this message reaches a few people who hunt the area. Growing up in a small town and having a close group of friends I hunt with I know how duck hunters can be about their spots. I’m not looking for any secret spots just areas I can go and scout with my boat. I also see you can’t hunt on Sunday’s in PA. What the hell do you guys do about that?
I’m 29 years old so I definitely wouldn’t consider myself old and I still have somewhat of a strong back when it comes to putting in the work for ducks. If anyone can give me their two cents it would be very much appreciated. I honestly, I have no idea *** I am going to do when it comes to hunting once I move out there. I’m much invested into ice fishing as well. Any info you can give me on that is also appreciated. Is there even any ice fishing in that part of the country? Thanks
maurerbj21
Newb

Re: One cheesehead lost in Eastern PA

Postby blackduckfever » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Welcome...I live in NEPA and have been frying to get my company to send me to Wisconsin!
blackduckfever
hunter

Postby maurerbj21 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:19 am

Capture.PNG
Side view of my rig
I forgot to mention I don't have a dog so anyone with a dog who knows how to retrieve is always more then welcome in my boat.
maurerbj21
Newb

Postby maurerbj21 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:21 am

Capture2.PNG
back to front
I currently have it set up for fishing but I will be making the transition for duck hunting in the next week or so.
maurerbj21
Newb

Postby gogetthedogs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm close to Wilkes-Barre. Might be able to help a little. PM me. I need a someone to hunt with anyway, getting old, 45. Wife hates when I go out alone.
Not sure how the mud motor will work but try it and see. Hunting pressure is not too bad here. Be happy you didn't move to southern PA. Those guys get rough.
I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!
gogetthedogs
hunter

Postby gogetthedogs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:23 pm

And also, no MOJO's. Might as well sell them there.
I know it sucks, no Sunday and no MOJO!
I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!
gogetthedogs
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:00 am

gogetthedogs wrote:And also, no MOJO's. Might as well sell them there.
I know it sucks, no Sunday and no MOJO!

True on the Mojos. Leave them w/ family, get the wind-driven ones. Keep the wind-drivens lubed & they'll work. Someone suggested an electrical lube.

Sunday? Been fighting that for a while. Problem - farmers fight back. Won't see Sunday hunting in PA for at least another twenty years or more.

True 'bout the Boys from South Pa, Washington, Fayette Counties. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby blackduckfever » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:38 am

Or....you can bring the mojo's and you can come up to NY with us on Sundays..
blackduckfever
hunter

Postby fingerlakefowler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:42 pm

In your area the Susquehanna will produce. Also might want to think about getting a jet. The river is very rocky and you will go through props.
fingerlakefowler
hunter

Postby Conewago Duck'n » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:00 am

Run your mud buddy for the first season or two and see how you make out. Jets are king in my area, but they have their big time down sides as well, mainly leaves, grass and ice. You will definitely see ice flowing on the Susky at some point in December or January. Lots of guys use regular props as well, just learn the section of river you want to run. I would not advise going in to a new area on that river in the dark.
I'm too far South of where your heading to be of any real help, I'm from the mean section of the river. :lol3:
You'll enjoy being able to hunt later into the season than Wisconsin, and we have some really good goose hunting as well. And lastly, go pack go!
Conewago Duck'n
hunter

Postby maurerbj21 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:04 pm

I appreciate the guys who took the time to respond. I really do appreciate it. Enough people read the message but not a lot of guys say anything or offer advice. More or less they must be like "figure it out for yourself." lol..no worries, I get it.
I was up in Wilkes-Barre yesterday driving around trying to get an idea of the area and what I may be getting myself into. Damn...it's pretty much smack dab in the middle of mountain country. Needless to say, I really don't know what to say..lol..The Susquehanna river seems very brown with a mix of a rocky/sandy bottom. After driving 4-5 miles alongside the Susquehanna and looking at aerial maps I wish my motor was called a rock buddy instead of a mud buddy. Going through props is inevitable but I have a feeling I may be going through props a lot faster out here. Especially being the new guy and going through some "oohhh %$#@" moments.
I was eating at the river grille in Wilkes-Barre last night and I saw about 10 bass boats head up river from the landing down river of the River grille. Nesbits Landing I assume??? I'm also assuming there must be a weekly Monday tourney that starts out there? I saw most of the boats had power poles. Probably to cut down the use of the trolling motor due to the river current when fishing a particular spot?
After doing some research I will definitely be buying my NY non resident waterfowl license. I just don't see a huge opportunity to get on a lot of birds early season in this area with the little water, minimal corn/wheat/bean fields, not being able to hunt on Sundays, and no mojos (which isn't that big of a deal). I have a feeling I will be saving a lot of my vacation time to go back to Wisconsin and hunt.
I can imagine birds utilize the Susquehanna late season when everything north freezes. It will be nice hunting later into the season than we do in Wisconsin. I'm definitely no stranger to hunting in the cold, ice, or snow. I just don't like being the guy who busts up the ice at the landing in order to launch my boat. lol..which is why I like hunting fields late season for mallards. If geese are around when I am duck hunting I will shoot them. Otherwise, I don't go out of my way too much for geese. I think they taste like crap and there's a reason we call them sky carp in Wisconsin.
I really have no way of backing out of this promotion at this point in the game. I will be making eastern PA my home sooner than laterwhether I like it or not. If you hear a guy with a thick Midwestern accent cursing at the moon..please stop and say hi. lol..in all seriousness though any other help/advice you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. I've always thought of duck hunters being a community of hunters and I still think that's the case.
Thanks again to the guys who took time to respond. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to hear from some other eastern PA duck hunters who share the same love of sport as I do.
I don't want to shoot all your birds only the ones that come into my decoys ;-)
maurerbj21
Newb

Postby TRL91 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:28 pm

The river can be awesome in the late season when everything else freezes. As long as the launch doesn't freeze your in business. Put your time in and scout, don't under estimate small streams or ponds in the woods. A lot of times these places go untouched and can be a good shoot. I've never been to Wisconsin but you guys probably have better duck hunting. PA is pretty good for geese especially if you go south. Likewise you can also get into some field mallards in your goose spreads.
TRL91
hunter

Postby Castnblast44 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 pm

I'm new to Pennsylvania too. Been hunting all over Texas the last 6 years and also did some hunting in northern Wisconsin as well. I currently have a 3 year old golden I hunt with and I've scouted a few places around danilesville and along the lehigh. Definitely looking forward to duck season. Let me know if you want to scout a few places before the season starts.
Castnblast44
Newb

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting