Presque isle duck hunting

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Presque isle duck hunting

Postby steel-slinger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 am

So I hunt up presque isle a lot and have been extremely successful somedays and others only shoot twice on a 8 hour sit. But I still need to know if you can set up a layout blind from one of the marked blind areas if the owner doesn't have a blind up? Every time I ask someone I seem to get different answers and this situation happend to me a lot where I call the blind owner and they say it got damaged in a storm or didn't take it up yet or whatever it may be. So can you set up a layout blind there or not?
Lock me and drop em
steel-slinger
hunter

Re: Presque isle duck hunting

Postby don novicki » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 pm

I believe the blinds must be "permanent" ie. left in place and not taken down day to day as a layout blind can be. If the site is vacant they will give it to another hunter after a period of time if the original blind holder elects not to build his/her blind there. Never have seen anyone use a layout blind out there..........That said the blind can be as nice or as cheesy as you want to make it. Iv'e seen some great blinds that dam near qualify as a hunting lodge, and I've seen blinds just made out of a piece of camo netting, but they all stay in place at the end of the day.
don novicki
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:55 am

i called on that last season. there is a blind spot that i have wanted but haven't got and last year there was just blind rubbish in the spot so i called and asked if we could put layout blinds there touching the stakes and the lad at the park office couldn't answer me with a yes or no. so this year thats the lot im going to if i can remember the number.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby steel-slinger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:23 am

See that's my problem. The blind owner will say hunt from a layout from the site but then others say no and some can't answer at all! But again what are the chances that the spot I want to hunt will be vacant again this year. And if so I will ask the owner if I can throw up a cheap blind I built to hunt around these farm ponds I have permission to hunt
Lock me and drop em
steel-slinger
hunter

Postby holby_cat » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 am

This is a tough one the only way you will get any sort of answer is to call the guys that run the blinds at the NW PA duck hunters association they have a Facebook page and I think a website as well
holby_cat
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:41 pm

the answer is No. The blinds have to have a roof so there is no shooting behind of the blind. Anything setup must be permanent and be built to the specs given out at the drawing. No shooting from land other than in a permanent blind or as you chase down a cripple.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby scaup004 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Here is the site for the NW PA Duck Hunters Assoc. www.paduck.com

The maps for the blind locations and some other good info is on there. All blind numbers and locations have changed for the 2014-15 season. I believe 15 blinds were removed to space things out more leaving 89 blinds to be assigned.

On Sunday, Sept. 14 the Duck Club is hosting a sporting clays shoot at Critter Path in Waterford for those interested. Should be a good time.
scaup004
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Last full day to put in for a P.I. blind at the Tom Ridge Center. I believe you can also put in before the drawing tomorrow morning.Good luck to all......
don novicki
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting