Pa duck report

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Pa duck report

Postby Snaph » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:24 pm

Our moderator seems to be AWOL. Woody, you are a good dude. I hope you are OK. OK guys our state forum is kind of weak. I have not helped any myself. I have been too busy being a screwball. I think it wold be cool if we started to give scouting reports from our different areas of the state.

It is that time of year. I am finding mating pairs of ducks all over. Mallards and Woodys. I have not seen any ducklings yet. But the geese have their hatchling all over the friggin place. Then again we have never had a shortage of geese.
Post up guys. Lets get this going.
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:16 pm

Well the Geese are coming back, I see em crapin all over the place (its a great feeling). And the other day I've seen a few ducks hanging out at this lake that I train my dog on, so they are definitely moving back up! :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:43 pm

That's good to know Stouff...since ALASKA is nowhere near Pennsylvania. :hammering:
Sorry to yell. You might be all the company I have in here. I hope Woody is OK like I said. I need to get these guys going. Mark...I know you still post. Help me out. Lets make this an active forum. Stouff your are welcome to be a honorary PA boy. As far as goose poop goes...it is nothing more than a big, compacted grass tic-tac. No, I never tasted one, so shut up.
Snaph
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:37 am

I was out scouting and working the pups on Saturday, went along the Schuylkill. Saw a lot of birds, ducks, mostly greenheads and geese. Plenty of young, with the ducklings being just about full feathered and the goslings still in down but some were quite large. Brood sizes for the ducks appeared to be very large while four goslings were the most I saw with any of the geese.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:05 pm

South central PA isnt looking to bad seeing good numbers of woody ducklings on the river and good numbers of geese already birds flocking up I saw about 200 the other jump from the field behind my house and head back to the refuge to roost for the night. However not seeing many mallards at all on the susqhehanna or junita rivers, however a friend of mine recently floated the conidiguent creek and saw good numbers of mallards and woodies with broods between 4 and 12 ducklings.
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:18 pm

Sus...thank you.
I hit the swamp last night to scout...damn skeeters chased me right back out. The Mallards seem to be up here on Lake Erie. Not by the 1000's, but enough to make me feel good. And the few small ponds I check out, I am seeing at least one mating pair. I will report what that brood is when I see it. Thanks again... :thumbsup: I would like to see more of this from everybody else.
Snaph
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:33 am

there are geese all over shenango lake I will start scouting the beaver ponds the begining of august. I have not seen a lot of ducks on shenango lake yet but the boats tend to scare them off . I normally don't see large numbers of ducks on there until after labor day
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

South Central PA

Postby h2ofowler84 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:43 pm

I have two pair of woodies that have nested behind my house, every morning I see one hen and two little ones and the other hen has 5. They go swimming down the river every morning. The geese are starting to come to the river every morning and night. There are between 30 and 50 per flock. Then I see them in the fields during the day. Most nights they fly right over my house coming back to the river at dusk. Last night I was in the pool and had my 7month old yellow lab(Gunner)was out with me in his kiddie pool and a flock of 12 came over and he was itchin to go. Thank God we only have another month till the opener.
h2ofowler84
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:55 pm

Well h2084 we will just have to see pup can do this season, hopefully some of our hunting buddies did some practicing on there shooting this off-season LOL....Good to see ya on board brother......
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby paduckbuster » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:46 pm

I've been down to the river a few days last week and I'm not seeing much yet. A few geese and no ducks . I'll keep you guys posted
Death from below
paduckbuster
hunter

Postby Fili » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:09 am

about 3 weeks ago the winter wheat was cut in the field in front of my house. about a week later there were 6 geese in there feeding. since then they have been there just about every morning and the flock has grown from 6 to 30. man i'm startin to get the fever.
I'd rather be hunting than talking to you here.
Fili
hunter

Postby arkstate » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:24 pm

I was crusin' by marsh creek state park today and stopped in. Not much action on the north or west sides on state property. Lots of geese feeding in the surronding farms/open fields. With the proper motivation, I'm sure they would stop in.
Also, saw several coveys of doves on the North shore. Would make a good afternoon as well.
arkstate
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:12 pm

I have been doing some scouting seeing geese woodies and even teal.. But no mallards or I should say very few.... This has been the been the trend the last two seasons here in central pa. Has anyone been seeing mallards other than in parks town ponds??????
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:17 pm

I have been doing some scouting seeing geese woodies and even teal.. But no mallards or I should say very few.... This has been the been the trend the last two seasons here in central pa. Has anyone been seeing mallards other than in parks town ponds??????
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby Snaph » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:48 pm

[siteimg]959[/siteimg]

Yep, I see mallards. Not in the 1000's, but more than a few hundred. (That I have seen) Just floating around and hanging out. So I will guess we have alot more mallards than I can count.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:59 pm

Just scouted my favorite spot today (that actually took some work)
Spotted at least 40 woodys. Had it been hunting season, todays limit would have been met. I like that.
Snaph
hunter

Postby goosehunter2118 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:13 pm

I was groundhog hunting at out best waterfowl spot and saw not one goose, but I saw a small flock of mallards flying by.
When the guns go up the geese come down.
goosehunter2118
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:35 pm

Finally found some mallards on the river with good numbers of woodies and believe it or not about 20 greenwings. The bad news the geese arent leaving the river much but there are alot of them.
suskiedrake
hunter

River Report

Postby h2ofowler84 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:14 am

Hey Suskiedrake,
The geese are roosting on the northern part of the island, They are going to their feeding spot across the road and coming back to river between 10 and 11 AM. I was just sitting here and at 10:45 I heard them coming back, went out on the deck and the whole flock came back together. There were at least 250 birds that went right over goose island. Less than a week from now, we will be out on goose island. I will let you know what is up for next Saturday as soon as we hear what the schedule is for the tournament.
In the evenings I am seeing good #'s of mallards and woodies right out back.
Talk the Talk
h2ofowler84
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:37 pm

Hey H20 84, you know whats nice ???? Exposed rocks means no bass fisherman to disturb us this year I would love to see a jet boat try to come through that gravel pit now .......
suskiedrake
hunter

river

Postby h2ofowler84 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:20 pm

Suskie,
Yeah that would be pretty funny, kinda like the day we watched the fat guy in the little john boat bouncing off the rocks.
Talk the Talk
h2ofowler84
hunter

Postby paduckbuster » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:27 am

Greenheads are starting to show up around the Delaware River, also seen some woodys in the swamp by my house.
Death from below
paduckbuster
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:01 am

Snafu - here I am. Most of what I've seen are geese. A flock flew over me up here in Hermitage on the way to work - as a matter of fact, right over Hickory H.S. Down in Lawence, still mostly geese. Mature families in an un - huntable pond in Neshannock. But, they frequently fly to the Shenango River, which is huntable in certain spots down here.
Ducks are thin! I'm not seeing too many :thumbsdown: .
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:05 pm

Hey Mark good to have you back. I was gonna say something in the HH but I waited to catch you in here. I'm still seeing lots of mallards in the bay, and there is woodys in every swamp I have been to. One day we saw at least 30 in an area that was not all that big. I had to wait for 20 geese to cross the road today just to get to work. Is it legal to "limit out" with your gas peddle? :mrgreen: (I'm kidding) Mark you might have to come north for a few days to scare them down south.
Snaph
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:55 am

Suskie- that happened to use last year at one of the game lands. We had about two dozen goose dekes out and these people just put their boat out about 30 yards from us and started fishing. Needless to say our hunting was over for the day. Some people. :pissed:
jlb512
hunter

Next

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting