opening day

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

opening day

Postby suskiedrake » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:20 am

Just wanted to tell everyone good luck and happy hunting, tomrrow I hope everyone has a safe and productive hunt. I hope to be posting again tomrrow with a limit of honker but if not I at least hope to have taken a full bag limit of memories of time spent afield with my father and friends. good luck, and everyone post up with stories of your first day this season.

Suskiedrake
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby arkstate » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:41 pm

Hope everyone has a great day. I have to go to Pittsburgh tonight for work tomorrow (love the railorad), but hope to get out when I return Friday. Shoot one for me.
arkstate
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:48 pm

Ark...you can't hunt AND have to go to Pittsburgh...man you got delt a bad hand on that one.
Snaph
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:47 pm

OK Ark and will try to make it one with a band for you!!!! Going out to set decoys, I wonder if I will sleep tonight???
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:05 am

It's 4 am I have been awake since 230 and I went to sleep at 1130. I am sitting here with all my stuff ready to go just waiting for my buddy to get here at 430 with the boat.
I hope everyone has good luck and a safe hunt
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:21 pm

Well how did everyone make out??? We had a slow morning I got three but one was a good one. As promised to you Arkstate.
Jayson Wilt
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:26 pm

no way !! congrats to you. Nothing yet going out in 1/2 hour.
jlb512
hunter

Postby newtoducks » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:38 am

Went out last night and managed to get 2
newtoducks
hunter

Postby Pigger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:06 am

~ 0 ~
Pigger
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:55 am

we got 2 each
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:20 am

Hey Pigger , H2084 and I were right with you today (2nd day) didnt even see a bird today. although it was so foggy we couldnt eve see our decoys either....
Hoping to actually hunt the river tomrrow with newtoducks and pick a couple more up....
Jayson Wilt
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby Fili » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:19 pm

My buddy and i got 6 on the first day. We hunted in a pasture and a pig knocked down a few of my dekes and started chewing on them. I almost had plenty of pork but he decided to leave them alone after i gave him a warning shot.
I'd rather be hunting than talking to you here.
Fili
hunter

Postby arkstate » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:57 pm

Thanks suskiedrake, I owe you one. I thought about you guys while I ran the railroad in Pittsburgh. Looks like it was a fair day overall. I'll be at Marsh Creek Wednesday morning if anyone wants to join me. There are a few locals that need my remington's attention.
arkstate
hunter

Postby Pigger » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:11 pm

I'm having trouble with a-holes! :pissed:
Pigger
hunter

River hunting

Postby h2ofowler84 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:26 pm

Pigger,

I know what you mean. We were working a small flock this morning on the river(Suskiedrake & I). Right when we had them in shooting range, there were some bass fisherman right in our shooting lane about 125 yards away. If we would have shot, there would have been Hevi-shot raining inside their boat.
What I dont understand is that we have alot of river to hunt and fish, but why do they have to set up so close when they know there are duck & goose hunters there. They have to see the dekes and hear us calling but they still come in and disrupt everything while your trying to work a flock of birds.

h2ofowler84
Talk the Talk
h2ofowler84
hunter

Postby Gibber » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:01 pm

Some freinds and I went out to the gamelands Saturday morning. There was alot of shooting in nearby fields, but we only saw a double - managed to call 1 in and Ace'd em.

We spent the rest of the day scouting for Monday and found a good sized flock (75 - 100) feeding in a pasture. (Most of the birds I have seen have been feeding in pastures, the cattle must be feeding on fodder right now so they must be picking out the remains)

Anyways, we got permission to hunt on the property. The birds came in 2 flocks... landed about 75 yards outside the dekes. They didnt flare like I have seen before... they just didnt like something in our spread.

Spent the evening dove hunting.

I recently bought some Flocked Full-body decoys and had them mixed in with some unflocked dekes. The difference in decoys was very noticible to me. Could this have been the problem, and has anyone else encountered it before?
Cut em' up
Gibber
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 pm

I had the same problems before as well even flocking the heads and tails of your existing spread helps. I am currently get ready to flock the heads of my floaters as well....

Hey H2084 the water is dropping again......game on!!!!!! hahaha At least they dont hassle us too much in the ice. I dont understand why they dont actually fish where the bass even are. The throwing of spinnerbaits through my decoys further enrages me. I am thinking of going out on sundays and throwing rocks and following them around the way they disturb my hunting. Everyone has a right to that river but a little respect goes along way......
Jayson Wilt
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:53 am

arkstate wrote:Thanks suskiedrake, I owe you one. I thought about you guys while I ran the railroad in Pittsburgh. Looks like it was a fair day overall. I'll be at Marsh Creek Wednesday morning if anyone wants to join me. There are a few locals that need my remington's attention.

I hope you do well, I made out there pretty good yesterday.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby arkstate » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:32 pm

3 geese, 1 dove in the afternoon. The park was bush hogging and it kept most of the doves away.
arkstate
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting