Waterfowl dog training near Pittsburgh

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Waterfowl dog training near Pittsburgh

Postby Gitzen » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:04 am

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on anywhere or anyone for dog training for waterfowl around Pittsburgh. My lab Zoey is 5 months and I'd like to try to get her trained for next season. Thanks for any help.
Gitzen
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Waterfowl dog training near Pittsburgh

Postby pabucklessduckhunter » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:14 pm

sorry not an answer to your question ....... but i'd encourage you to tackle it yourself ! its very rewarding and not that hard to get them trained for basic retrievals , thats what I did and I just keep adding small things to her training . Good luck
pabucklessduckhunter
hunter

Postby Gitzen » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:30 pm

That was my ultimate plan. Just hard knowing what to try when there's an abundance of different tips on the internet.
Gitzen
hunter

Postby Riverridge » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:16 pm

The High-flyers Hunting Retriever Club is a great place to learn about training (http://www.highflyers.org).

They have monthly training days at grounds near Grove City, Pa and East Palestine, Ohio. They are a great group to train with.
Riverridge
hunter

Postby LowcountryGamecock » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:05 pm

pabucklessduckhunter wrote:sorry not an answer to your question ....... but i'd encourage you to tackle it yourself ! its very rewarding and not that hard to get them trained for basic retrievals , thats what I did and I just keep adding small things to her training . Good luck

What resources would you reccomend?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
LowcountryGamecock
hunter

Postby pabucklessduckhunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 pm

I used training videos by Bill Hillman , he has a couple that take you through day by day exercises that worked great for me ! had my dog in nj for some coastal hunting , her first time and she did great in the saltwater retrieved many birds for us .
pabucklessduckhunter
hunter

Postby ZMan079 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Gitzen,

As pabuckless mentioned Hillman is good!!!

I would highly recommend Lardy as well (If Budget is an issue then Fowl Dawg's series would suffice too).

Whatever method you go with stick to it and don't be in a race. Remember you need to Crawl, Walk, then Run!!!

As far as people/places to train, In addition to the High Flyers, look up the Greater Pittsburgh Golden Retriever Club and the Greater Pittsburgh Labrador Retriever Club.

I also wanted to say best of luck and enjoy the ride!!!!

HTH,
ZMan079

PS: Looking to get a new pup soon, so maybe I'll run into you sometime
Duck Xpress - My Boat Blind Project
ZMan079
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting