Need Advice

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Need Advice

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:34 pm

I need some advice on how to set up for this particular situation... It's all farm land that decently sized creek runs through... I have permission to hunt about of mile of it... In the past I would just walk the creek, jumping the mallards or woodies and shoot them...Over the past 2 years I've gotten pretty big into the whole decoying the birds thing... So I was wondering, how should I go about putting out decoys for this particular situation??? There are some nice deep pools that the ducks typically sit on that I was thinking about putting the dekes on...Lemme know your thoughts and opinions.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby roscoesbuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:58 pm

i would say keep it light on the dekes just enough to grab there attention but now enough to look full. keep an eye or think back to when you jumped them normally how big of a group do they sit in and go with that number. other then that find a good hiding place and good luck

oh another thing is check out when and where they fly on creeks you normally want to set up were they want to be. good luck
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby roscoesbuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:01 pm

Pawaterfowldominator i was wonder were in johnstown your from i played baseball in the AAABA the last two summers for the grays..
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:25 pm

How big is the creek? I hunt on creeks quite a bit actually especially during the week when I hunt by self taking my big rig out on the river is alot of work by yourself.

I hunt on a small trout stream no deeper than 4ft in the deepest holes and no wider than 25ft at most places. In this situation I use no more than 8 decoys. If it has trees along the bank, find the opening in the trees that the birds use. If it runs through a pasture or field find the spot that the decoys can be visble to birds at a distance and can find you some cover.

I also hunt a larger tributary stream that is about 75 yards wide and deeper than the before metioned trout stream. In this type of setup I prefer to look for a good opening and a turn in the creek. As many creeks have turns or bends this gives you the ability to see greater distances for birds and off times a washout or eddy. This where I look to put some decoys, they will appear to be resting naturally like live ducks I try to keep my decoys out of the current if I can. How many times do you ducks in current going nowhere? I will use as high as three dozen blocks but have really started to go with larger oversize decoys that are very realistic. Eighteen super mags stand out better than three dozen smaller blocks. Also dont be afraid to mix sizes as this gives a very natural look as well.

But hey that is just my two cents......
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:42 am

Roscoesbuddy... It's really funny you mention playing for the AAABA the last two years... I played for Delweld 2003( tournament year ) and 2004 when we went to 7 games with you guys... We might have to hook up and do some hunting.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby Pigger » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:47 am

I've always had pretty good success hunting open pastures with just a few decoys. (5-7) Find a spot where the birds can see the decoys and you can hide nearby. Good luck!
Pigger
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting