Ninigret pond

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

Ninigret pond

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Just came back from another wonderful family vacation in Narragansett. Went with the wife and kids yaking on the Ninigret pond last Thursday. Had a great time and saw many nice old duck blinds. Is duck hunting allowed or are the blinds from years ago? Are you allowed to walk in from the Charlestown Beach road and hunt? or is boat only access? Found a spot that looked just perfect. Anyway it is beautiful pond and the possibilities of diver hunting look very promising.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Ninigret pond

Postby TheSwamper » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 am

Hunting is allowed there, but as you can see from all the blinds, it get hit pretty hard. As long as you are below mean high-tide and 500' from a house I'm pretty sure your good to hunt anywhere in the pond.

Lots of blacks, some buffies, mergs. Can be a decent place if you know where to go.
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Postby Dylandawg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm

I used to hunt there years ago but as all the salt ponds here too much pressure and people. Back in the day it was a great place for bluebill. That's going back to the 70's and 80's don't think bluebills have seen the pond in many years. I may be wrong but I do scout it every once in a while and haven't any in years. As Swamper said buffies and sawbills make up most of the birds there nowadays.
Dylandawg
hunter

Postby Flier » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:15 pm

If you are near the Preserve areas, stay in the water and you are OK. There is lots of pressure there but if you don't mind a good paddle there are a fair amount of spots.
Not hard to hit, just easy to miss.

Tom
Flier
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting