Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck Season

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Dingbatter 2 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I am sure you guys get this quite frequently, but instead of begging for help I will try to ask more pointed questions.

I am brand new to the Forum and duck hunting in general. I am currently in Afghanistan serving with the US Army and was turned on to the idea by more than a few friends that I serve with. I believe this is going to be the beginning of a beautiful hobby once I return to Rhody. In preparation for my return, I was wondering if you gents might be able to help me out by answering a few questions to start.

1. Is duck hunting in Rhode Island a viable hobby? I know we have lots of great swampland, lakes, and forest area...so I imagine that it is possible. If not, where in Mass near RI is a good place to look at?

2. I have heard puddle ducks are easier to start with, as compared to sea ducks. Do you think I should start with puddlers first? Is there a good size puddle duck population in RI?

3. What kind of shotgun do you suggest? I currently have a very old 870 pump 2 3/4 with a Mod. choke but may resign to using this as a backup. I am currently eying the Franchi Affinity for its Inertia system and affordable cost.

4. Can anyone suggest a guide to begin with? I, being in the military, am very comfortable with the outdoors but would like to learn the basics from someone on a basic day trip before I set off on my own.

Thanks again all and I look forward to the responses!

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service man!

Here are a few links for you to check out. They are the waterfowl regs AND the general hunting regs for RI.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/fishwild/hunt1213.pdf

http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/fishwild/wfwl1213.pdf

I'll try and answer your questions for you or at least point you in the right direction.

1. Is duck hunting in Rhode Island a viable hobby? I know we have lots of great swampland, lakes, and forest area...so I imagine that it is possible. If not, where in Mass near RI is a good place to look at?

Duck hunting is a viable hobby for sure. I don't know much about Mass. because I don't hunt there. I'm from RI so i hunt RI mostly. I know there is no hunting on Sunday in Mass and their gun laws are a lot more strict then in RI.
There is a lot of state land to hunt in RI and as long as you are 500' from a dwelling/building and below mean high-tide you are pretty much allowed to hunt any tidal waters. There are plenty of rivers and streams as well.

Again read ALL the regs to get more info.

2. I have heard puddle ducks are easier to start with, as compared to sea ducks. Do you think I should start with puddlers first? Is there a good size puddle duck population in RI?

Puddle ducks are 'easier' to hunt as far as what type of gear you need for sure. Most puddle duck hunting I do is with a kayak or canoe, as opposed to sea duck hunting which usually requires a much bigger boat.
I wouldn't say there is a 'good' size puddle duck population in RI, but if you do your home work and scout you can find birds.

3. What kind of shotgun do you suggest? I currently have a very old 870 pump 2 3/4 with a Mod. choke but may resign to using this as a backup. I am currently eying the Franchi Affinity for its Inertia system and affordable cost.

All I use is an 870! Best waterfowl gun ever made IMO.

4. Can anyone suggest a guide to begin with? I, being in the military, am very comfortable with the outdoors but would like to learn the basics from someone on a basic day trip before I set off on my own.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

As long as you read ALL the regs you should be fine.

Good luck, be safe.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
RI can be decent place to hunt. The fresh water side of it can be a little touchy, we are a small state with limited fresh water and a lot of competition during the seasons for prime waters. On the other hand we have a vast amount of very huntable coastlines and salt marshes which can be very good later in the season at it gets colder.

As far as ducks you have 3 classes, puddlers, divers and seaducks. You can find both divers and puddlers in the bay and in fresh water all winter long, most divers will settle in the bay and not so much in fresh water. Seaducks as swamper stated calls for a big seaworthy boat and a good knowledge of seamanship.

The sport can and is very addictive and expensive, especially expensive if you become addicted. Different size boats, motors canoes, guns, dogs, decoys. I myself have 2 duck boats with motors, 1 layout boat, 2 canoes, 300 hundred duck decoys, 100 goose decoys, not to mention I collect duck calls. I think at last count I had close to 100 calls. Plus a GOOD dog and a GOOD gun.

For a gun the Remington 870 chambered in 3" is all you need. I bought the Remington 887 composite pump a few years back and love it. Duck hunting can take it's toll on a gun around salt water, boats, rocks and wet dogs. I wouldn't recommend taking a high end gun out too often and there isn't anything more reliable than a pump.

As we get closer to the season PM me. I'm sure I can get you out there a couple times.
season ender 2009 247.jpg

Attachments

#7 ·
TheSwamper said:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service man!

Here are a few links for you to check out. They are the waterfowl regs AND the general hunting regs for RI.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/fishwild/hunt1213.pdf

http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/fishwild/wfwl1213.pdf

I'll try and answer your questions for you or at least point you in the right direction.

Duck hunting is a viable hobby for sure. I don't know much about Mass. because I don't hunt there. I'm from RI so i hunt RI mostly. I know there is no hunting on Sunday in Mass and their gun laws are a lot more strict then in RI.
There is a lot of state land to hunt in RI and as long as you are 500' from a dwelling/building and below mean high-tide you are pretty much allowed to hunt any tidal waters. There are plenty of rivers and streams as well.

Again read ALL the regs to get more info.

Puddle ducks are 'easier' to hunt as far as what type of gear you need for sure. Most puddle duck hunting I do is with a kayak or canoe, as opposed to sea duck hunting which usually requires a much bigger boat.
I wouldn't say there is a 'good' size puddle duck population in RI, but if you do your home work and scout you can find birds.

All I use is an 870! Best waterfowl gun ever made IMO.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

As long as you read ALL the regs you should be fine.

Good luck, be safe.
KingofBattle, I am not from RI let alone have I ever stepped foot in RI so I don't know the 1st thing about hunting there. What I do know is this; The quote above is from one of the most knowledgeable and well respected waterfowlers on the East Coast that I know of. His knowledge and experience in this game is vast, and I personally consider you to be in very, very good hands. It is only fitting that an active duty member of our military be matched up with one of the best our sport has to offer. I don't 100% recall but, im pretty sure Capt. Rhodes, runs a top notch guide service as well. Might want to hit him up :thumbsup:
Thank you for your service, and come home safe King.

#8 ·
Thanks Brian, That was the last day of the season 3 years ago. Just two of us that day on the upper bay. The last bird on the day was a Euro widgen. That's why I like hunting the bay so much, sometimes you don't know what going to pop in for a visit.

I second that, hunting with Brian, I haven't hunted with him but always hear good things about his hunts.

#10 ·
Gents,

Thanks for your kind responses. Been busy over here in the 'Stan lately so I haven't been able to concentrate on preparation for duck hunting.

A few more questions if you all don't mind. I am still interested in fresh water for now, I just can't sink too much money into a hobby that I don't know everything about yet. Buying a big ol' seaworthy duck boat just isn't in the cards. Just looking to wet my whistle by bagging some Mallards hopefully, I just don't know how viable this is for Rhode Island...

What kind of fresh water ducks can I expect to find besides Mallards? Black Ducks? Woodies?

How does hunting in a local marsh work? Set up some dekes and use a mallard call for best practices?

Do Coots exist in Rhode Island? Haha, never noticed when I was younger and I have been away for 5+ years.

Any experience with asking local farmers to use their land for hunting, or is that a no go?

Any other knowledge or tips you would like to share, I am all ears. Thanks again guys.

#13 ·
TheSwamper said:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service man! ... Good luck, be safe.
X2 :thumbsup:

Thinking about a trip that way, when do you get back?

#14 ·
Do yourself a favor. Stay away from duck hunting. You will be poor the rest of your life, all of your friends will be duck hunters (no one else will be able to stand you!) and your wife will either leave you or simply come to realize that you are nuts and just grin and bare it. She will not have many friends either, except the crazy wives of your crazy friends! You will celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years in March. No time for that foolishness during the season. I suggest that you take up golf, or maybe become a crackhead...or both! If you don't believe me, just look around at the yahoos on this site! It is too late for us, we cannot be saved. But you still have a chance. Run, run away as fast as you can!
I have to go now, there is a sale on some camo underwear that matches my new camo jacket, and I have to pick up my meds at the pharmacy. By the way, has anyone else seen that little white van in their neighborhood lately, you know, the one with the guys in the white suits carrying those funny looking little vests with the weird straps. Just curious...wait, listen, is that a helicopter I hear? :hi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.