South County Salt?

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

South County Salt?

Postby jakemaione » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post here! Been duck hunting for a few years now and am a Unity College conservation law enforcement student. I'm coming home for christmas at the end of this week and I am already expecting ice in my small freshwater honey holes, so I'm looking for some more information on some south county salt marshes. Ive always hunted Succotash on both sides of the road but it seems to me that everyone else goes there too and we are fighting for a spot to put our layouts. I'm not asking for anybodies secret spots but is there any way to hunt Ninegret, Quonny, or any other salt ponds or marshes, any WMAs? A lot of the areas I would imagine would be good, but a lot is Federal preserve land too?
jakemaione
Newb

Re: South County Salt?

Postby Dylandawg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:00 pm

All the salt ponds are open to hunting except Truston Pond. Quony is a better bet or Great Salt Pond in SK/Narr, I've actually shot a few Eider on Quony. The most you'll find now a days in any of the salt ponds in South County is a few blacks, mallards and lots of sawbills. In the 80's and early 90's we used to shoot a lot of bluebills on the ponds and than something changed drasticly. I havent seen a flock of bluebill down here in 10+ years.
Dylandawg
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting