2007 Season, tales and photos

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

2007 Season, tales and photos

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:08 pm

Yesterday was my first hunt of the season. I didn't shoot anything, but called in two birds for my frinds and the dog. I was happy to get the birds down on the ground, I needed wings for training.

It looks like the last 6 months of daily training with the dog (Gauge) has paid off. I hope my days hauling the john boat to get the downed birds are over.

I started this topic so all you other Rhode Island hunters could post your photos and stories of your hunts.

I hope I'm not the only guy from RI using this site!

Looking forward to seeing how you' all do.

Good luck!
Muzzyinbambi

Last edited by Muzzyinbambi on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not my fault I'm at the top of the foodchain.
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby RI_dead_duck » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:45 pm

hey muzzy, thats my buddy sean(silenthunter) in that picture when you guys slayed them that day last year....i remember it...he said you guys were very good at calling and it was like a guided hunt.

if you still have his number, give us a call if you wanna try and get some geese again
:thumbsup:

we've gone out a couple of times this year but no success stories just yet, heading out tommorow and hopefully this weekend with another friend of ours out in the turf feilds
RI_dead_duck
hunter

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Well thanks for the kind words. One thing I have never been called is a guide. I quess that any day, that you shoot your limit in less that one hour, thats like being on a guided hunt.
You can tell Silenthunter, he can hunt with me anytime. I tried to IM him last week, no reply.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your pix's and hearing how you guys do.

Shoot'em up!
PS. I like to hunt Turf fields! HINT, HINT! :wink:

Muzzyinbambi
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby RI_dead_duck » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:01 pm

i see or atleast talk to sean just about every day, so i did let him know you tried emailing him and he sent you one back either yesterday or today

i think we are going out Saturday or Sunday with a friend of ours....hopefully all goes well

we have a 19ft sea duck boat setup with all the gear if you guys ever wanna come out on the ocean with us...pretty much whenever the ocean cooperates enough with us we are out there

when the winter sets in, and hopefully it actually does this year, and i get layed off from work, we will be hunting a few days a week so give us a shout anytime and we'll probably be into it

Rob :thumbsup:
RI_dead_duck
hunter

Today's spearfishing trip.

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:37 pm

We shot four black fish and I missed two big Stripers, about 35 to 40 pounds. I think if the water was clear I would have killed them both. By the time i could see them, it was too late to swing my gun around. I'll try to post some picks of the black fish when I get home.

Cheers!
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

9/21/07 hunt.

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:43 am

Today was okay, we shot three geese (one with a band). Three of us hunted, we all shot one each. It could have been better if the weather was not so warm. I hope it turns cold before the end of early season. We only had three flocks come into the deks. It was a very slow day.
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby RI_dead_duck » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:00 am

skunked again yesturday out in the turf feild....had about 100 birds just circling us with none of them wanting to get in range really

they all came at pretty much the same time

the guy we went with said this was typical resident goose behavior because they know something is out of the ordinary with all the decoys in the feilds when they have been going there and never seeing other geese there before...

o well, next time
RI_dead_duck
hunter

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:27 am

We had the same thing happen yesterday. Three flocks, none dead. That guy you were with is right. Resident birds know what is up. If the weather changes before the end of the month it should get better.

Good luck,

Smitty
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby RI_dead_duck » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm

i think if we go out again were gonna try a new tactic of putting small groups of decoys together spaced out from the others and have each lay out blind with each group?

im not sure if it will work......we used what seemed like alot of dekes...probably like 30something?...i don't know....

if you guys wanna try SSMA sometime soon me and sean would probably be into it

let us know
RI_dead_duck
hunter

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:49 pm

still can't hunt it, the corns not cut.
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Not a bad day!

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:45 am

Two of my friends and I went out this morning. We shot 7 birds before 7:30. Things slowed down after that. Two of the 7 birds were banded. Not bad to get 2 out of seven. There were two large flocks that came in, the rest we doubles and lone birds. I had to leave at 9:00, so I don't know what the end total was.

Here is my pup with one of the banded birds.Image
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby RI_dead_duck » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 am

welp i didn't see anything this morning haha, hopefully this afternoon
RI_dead_duck
hunter

Opener

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:12 am

Hey guys,

I managed to get out the last morning of the early season w/ my friend Wes. We almost took our limit of woodies... But it was a great morning!

Hunt Safe,

Mark
Mark
hunter

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:49 pm

Nice job Mark!

It's nice to see that other people are now posting pictures and tails of their hunts. Good work on those Woodies!

PS. Nice truck.

We are both Dodge guys I see. :thumbsup:
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

When the ducks arn't in season!

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Check out this Piebald spike I shot on the second day of the muzzleloader season. He was not the biggest buck in the woods, but a 120 pound deer helps fill the freezer, and you can't eat horns.

Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:21 am

Awesome buck! Congrats!
Hunt Safe,

Mark
Mark
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting