South Kingston managment fields?

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

South Kingston managment fields?

Postby Dr. Gooseman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 am

Question for you RI hunters. A few years ago I was driving around south of Rt 1 in Charlestown and Matunuck. I noticed a bunch of fields (cut corn maybe) that were marked as what looked like management fields for geese and run through (I think) the town of South Kingston.

What's the deal with those fields? Are they still offering 'em? Is it a first-come, first-served type of thing? Permits?

I do my hunting in CT but was just curious.

Thanks for the info!

-Glenn
Hunting is like sex... Even when it's bad it's still pretty good.
Dr. Gooseman
hunter

Postby TheSwamper » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:00 pm

That area is called the South South Managment Area.

There are 4 or 5 different fields you can hunt. Some have pit blinds some don't. I believe you have to sign up for a field for the day.
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Postby Dylandawg » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:05 am

There are 6 fields one federal and 5 state, if I remember correctly fields 2,4 and 5 and maybe 6 have pit blinds. The field on school house rd is the federal field (field #1)and most or all of that field in not cut anymore. The feds are managing it for non game spieces, but is still open to hunting. The grasses are waist high.

You do need a permit and reservations, permits are issued at great swamp office, reservations are taken there as well.
Dylandawg
hunter

South Shore Management Area.

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:15 pm

Just to add to this info given by Dylandawg,

No reservation is needed for the SSMA's fields during the early season, but it is required in the regular season. If you plan to hunt in the early season, it can not be hunted while the corn is being cut. The field you wish to hunt must be 100% cut before you can use it. Keep in mind that the DEM has the farmers leave a small amount of standing corn around the pit blinds.
It's not my fault I'm at the top of the foodchain.
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

South Shore Management Area

Postby CAVSCOUT » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:10 pm

Gents ,
I am new to the area and have read the previous posts. I plan on trying to get out there a few times during the holidays. Is the SSMA user friendly? I went to the DEM house and picked up my permit but the "young" ladies there weren't very helpful or maybe just didn't care. They guy at the range couldn't even tell me where he was on the map!
Its just me and another buddy wanting to pop a few ducks/ geese this year. Could someone point me in the right direction?

thx
CAVSCOUT
Newb

Postby CAVSCOUT » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:36 pm

To CORRECT my last post....

I was actually in the Great Swamp MA not the South Shore....
-CAVSCOUT
CAVSCOUT
Newb

Postby Dylandawg » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:57 pm

Cavscout,
What do you mean be user friendly????
Dylandawg
hunter

Postby rifleman » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:51 pm

++
Last edited by rifleman on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

wma

Postby CAVSCOUT » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:06 pm

Concerning user friendly-  I went to the Great Swamp back in Sept to get a permit and find out more info.  I had only been in RI for about 2 months and didn't know anything about the WMAs.  Bottomline, the ladies there "here, fill this out for a permit, the maps are behind you (black and white, poor stuff) and I don't duck hunt so I don't know anything about that......"So, I started out on my own- over to the range where I met the range OIC and he could'ny tell me where he was on the map let alone where I could put in a boat or where or if there are even ducks in the lake!  I then tried to drive down the road to find a place and the roads were closed for vehicles!  Still haven't went out yet this year, I've just kinda put it down on the priority list.  Its good to hear though that people do actually go out there.  Maybe I'll try it in late season.  thx , CAVSCOUT 
CAVSCOUT
Newb

Postby Dylandawg » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:59 pm

Cav,

I think what your talking about is the Great Swamp impoundment not the south shore management area (SSMA). Out at Great Swamp ( where you got your permit) there is a dam and impoundment where you can duck hunt (no geese really) it's just a swamp. A permit is not required there but there are special regulations, you need a dog, or a boat. It is quite a long hike to the impoundment so I don't think a boat is practical. There is a road to it but it is gated shut ALL year long. The regs require you to hunt with a dog or boat.

The SSMA is in Charlestown is what you got the permit for. That is mostly goose hunting in fields. During a hard rain you will find a lot of puddlers there. As stated here previously you need to reserve one of the fields for the day you want to hunt and need a minimum of 24 goose decoys which is also stated in the regulations they gave you with your permit for the fields.

If you need more info you can call Jay Osenkowski 789-0281 at the Great Swamp field office. He is the states waterfowl biologist he can answer all your questions. Feel free to call him, that's what he's getting paid for.

Hopes this helps clear things a little. PM me if you want to.
Dylandawg
hunter

Postby rifleman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:30 pm

++
Last edited by rifleman on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

Postby Dylandawg » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:33 pm

Rifleman, is any of that field cut??

When I drive by I see an uncut field from the road, is it cut in the back?
Dylandawg
hunter

Postby rifleman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:27 pm

++
Last edited by rifleman on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
USN Retired
NRA Life
Somerset Sportsman Club
East Warren Rod and Gun
rifleman
hunter

field 5

Postby Flier » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi guys, trying out field#5 this weekend for the first time in the AM. Any info would be great. Like is the blind close to the black dot on the map? As I wander around with my buddies in the dark lol. hows the Parking ect ec t ect. Was gonna scout it but I don't want to mess with someone elses hunt. :eek:
How is the blind, should I bring some grass or corn?
If is rains maybe a dozen puddlers and a wind duck? :smile:

Been a great topic so far! Appreciate any comments, thanks

Tom
Not hard to hit, just easy to miss.

Tom
Flier
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting