Old Squaw

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

Old Squaw

Postby shocktroop » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Hey all, pretty new to the area and through some generous sportsmen I have gotten out this season and been doing pretty good. I'm looking to take an old squaw, one of those birds on my list to have in hand and get mounted, so my question is where do I find them? Been out to Point Judith and we saw tons of Eider, and other sea-ducks, but no old squaw. I have access to a large boat that can go anywhere and we can piggyback a layout boat on the fantail, so I don't really think I am limmited in places I can go, but being new to the area and hunting so soon I'm behind a large learning curve here. Any tips and such is greatly appreciated.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Are folks up here that tight lipped? I've seen 22 views to this topic but no replies, I have a hard time thinking that none of you fellas have an idea on where to find old-squaw.......
shocktroop
hunter

Postby josephwhewell » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:48 pm

shocktroop - i hunt the southeastern side of CT and have seen oldsquaw between Mystic and Fishers Island in open water. Not many though. Hunted Saturday the 15th and saw a pair and about a dozen scoters but that is it. in the last couple of years Iv'e seen them after cold fronts in late dec. and Jan. but again not big numbers. My son and I managed to bag 3 georgous drake longtails two years ago in this area but its the only time we actually banged em'.
josephwhewell
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:31 pm

I appreciate the scoop man. I'm waiting til Jan 1 to buy the 09 license. Just moved up here and been hunting RI, I live in CT but I'm not going to buy an 08 license, then 15 days later buy a new 09 license, so I hope to hit some of CT after Jan.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Johnny Vegas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:03 pm

oh....we know where they are.... :biggrin: :yes:
Johnny Vegas
hunter

Postby Capt. Ben » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey,
I have not seen many as of late. As a matter of fact I have not been doing all that well, compared to last year. My normal duck spots have dried up so I have been looking and scouting for new spots. I miss the sea duckin....
Capt. Ben
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 pm

Found em. Shot em. Having a prime drake mounted.
Thanks fellas.
shocktroop
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting