To the greenhorns on Point Judith Pond

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

To the greenhorns on Point Judith Pond

Postby Dylandawg » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:49 am

If you were hunting Point Judith Pond Saturday morning Dec. 27 at Camp Fuller on the "T" point please read on.

First off, Mergansers and Buffleheads don't come to mallard calls. You are shooting a shotgun NOT a Howitzer Cannon. Shotguns have an effective range of around 40 yards NOT 80, 100 or 120 and yes at one time 150+ yards. Maybe that's why out of the 100 shells you guys fired you didn't get any ducks to fall while we were watching you.
Your duck calls sounded more like a varmint calls and your goose call sounded like something I've never heard before. Another thing if there are no birds in the air you don't need to blow your call. Unless of course you were calling the birds that were over a half mile away and in that case they never heard you.

Just because you have a nice camo boat, decoys and blind doesn't mean you know how to hunt ducks. Do yourself a favor and find someone with some experience and go out and learn from them first before you attempt to waterfowl again.
Dylandawg
hunter

Re: To the greenhorns on Point Judith Pond

Postby Jred » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:59 pm

Dylandawg wrote:

Just because you have a nice camo boat, decoys and blind doesn't mean you know how to hunt ducks. Do yourself a favor and find someone with some experience and go out and learn from them first before you attempt to waterfowl again.

So why didn't you introduce yourself and offer some advice instead of bashing and shaming them openly on the internet...and before you ask, no it was not me or anyone I know on the pond that day. It is real easy to hide behind the veil of the internet and not do the right thing in person.
Jred
hunter

Postby Dylandawg » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:48 pm

First off I am not hiding behind a screen, my email address is in my profile with my full name. Second I was not bashing them, I was being sarcastic and with that it is coming with constructive criticism.

Jred, I've been duck hunting over 35 years and run into this time and time again. When I do approach the novice duck hunter it goes in one ear and out the other. Most people don't like to hear their doing something incorrect.

I also had a hunter level his gun on me one day and if it wasn't for my partner I don't know if I would be here today. He had the attitude not me. The story behind it was, he came in and set up next to us within 50 yards well after sunrise and put out 4 decoys and just started blowing his duck call and wouldn't stop. Then proceeded to shoot at birds over our decoys. When I went over to him to ask if he would consider to move he said he had every right to shoot anything he saw fit to and with that, he leveled his gun and said if I don't leave right now he was going to shoot me. So to say the least I'm a little gun shy since that episode approaching greenhorn hunters.

Another thing, they ruined our hunt that day with their actions.

Dude if you knew me and I was bashing them it would have been a lot worse then what I said on my first post. I figured if they happened to read the post they might rethink the way they hunt.
Dylandawg
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 pm

A buddy pointed me to this thread cause he knew I was out that day. I was on point judith on or near that day. I was out friday and saturday. Friday we were out on a buddies lobster boat out to do some cod fishing and we saw two sea-duck hunters. One was on the wall heading out into open water, and the other hunting group was near the outside can on the far side of the wall/jetty. Both guys were shooting, and dropping birds, looked like a good hunt for both parties. My boy got sea-sick on the way out so we turned around and anchored just to check things out, maybe 1/2 mile away from the outside hunting party. The next day we set out to sea-duck hunt the outside wall on the open-water side. Pretty rough day, didn't see another hunter nor hear one. I'm not terribly familiar with the area, but I have been told there are ponds on either side of point judith. Either way we didn't see or hear anyone on the while we hunted. We ran into some guys, three, with a chessie heading out from what looked like a lunch break around 1100hrs. They had a couple nice canadians but that was it from what we saw. From what you mention in your experiences, hell, I'd report them if they leveled a gun at you, theres no need for "sportsmen" to even think of acting such a way. As for the poor hunting practices, theres a difference in ignorance and stupidity, maybe give em your .02 politely and make them better hunters. I know if I was hunting anything anywhere, and someone came up to correct me with sound advice that was in all of our interests, I'd listen and then thank him. Just me though.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Dylandawg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:55 am

[quote="shocktroop"] From what you mention in your experiences, hell, I'd report them if they leveled a gun at you, theres no need for "sportsmen" to even think of acting such a way. quote]

At the time, I was just out of the military and having been held hostage at gun point one time on board a vessel and being shot at a few times, having a gun pointed at me wasn't the first time. I should of reported him then again if I had my gun in my possession I don't know what may have been.
Dylandawg
hunter

Postby Jred » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:31 pm

DylanDawg,

I see where you are coming from and what you are getting at. Can you see how the average guy like me can misinterpret your message in the original post? Sarcasm or not, I obviously took it the wrong way. Like I said earlier I do see where you are coming from and now understand your post. I do hope the folks hunting the pond that day learn how to be sportsmen and respect the birds and other hunters in the area.

On a different note, has anyone thought of putting together an end of season DHC hunt? When I was stationed in Maryland we used to do this and it was a lot of fun. Would you be interested?

Jon
Jred
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting