Is it me or....

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

Is it me or....

Postby Capt. Ben » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:21 pm

is there just not that many ducks this year? I'm busting my chops these days to kill a few birds. Heck, I'm even going to new places hoping for better luck. Anyone in the same boat(or layout blind), who's just not seeing the numbers or action? I'm hunting the salt marshes and ponds, freshwater creeks that are open, and the ocean for sea ducks, and my lab Gunner ain't pleased with the amount of retrieves lately. :thumbsdown:
Capt. Ben
hunter

Postby Dylandawg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:16 pm

If your hunting the salt marshes in south county there hasn't been much there for years. I gave up hunting them about 15 years ago. Between the amateurs and lack of birds it wasn't worth hunting them for me anymore.

We haven't had a good lasting freeze yet and in my 35 years fowl hunting in RI, that what I see as to what produces birds. Usually it doesn't get good till January anyway. If it's a warm month don't count on it getting better then it is already.

I think it just hasn't been cold enough up north to force the flights south yet.
Dylandawg
hunter

I agree

Postby Flier » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:51 pm

I agree, I've had a better year with the geese than the duckies. And I'm not that cold standing out there.
Not hard to hit, just easy to miss.

Tom
Flier
hunter

Postby jmillo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:38 pm

thank God you are a great fishing guide cpt Ben, cuz you will not make it as a duck guide! :wink:
jmillo
hunter

Postby Capt. Ben » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Hey hey, easy now, at least we saw birds and did not shoot someone's farm geese.......
Capt. Ben
hunter

Postby Dylandawg » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:39 am

There moving now. Did an afternoon yesterday in the bay and lots of birds moving. We shot gadwall, widgeon, bluebill, goldeneyes, blacks, mallards. and a couple hoodies.
Dylandawg
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting