New Geese

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

New Geese

Postby R.I. Red » Wed May 27, 2009 4:02 pm

There are a great number of breeding geese staying around this year in Little Compton. We did a count today and found upwards of 140 newly (a week or two) hatched geese with their 2 parents. In the past this was not common. I get the feeling that early season is going to be productive. Does anyone else in RI notice more local birds ?
R.I. Red
hunter

Re: New Geese

Postby MIKE J. » Fri May 29, 2009 11:25 am

Actually the opposite,,

The Naval Station in Newport for years was infested with residents, however this year there are maybe 20 pairs with about 12 broods right now. (vice 300+) I suspect the new bridge construction has spooked them a little since this is where they typically would flock and stay during the upcoming molt.

Swamper also piled them up last year at a close location during the resident season :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think it is a win win situation for everyone to get those birds away from the base. Nobody here is missing the Green Tootsie Roll's (goose turds) everywhere..

good luck,

Mike
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Re: New Geese

Postby TheSwamper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 am

Swamper also piled them up last year at a close location during the resident season

I have no idea what youa re talking about.... :hammer: :tongue:
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting