Duck Hunting Forum banner

Does anyone hunt the lake?

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  killzone 
#1 ·
I wonder if anyone hunted the lakes? Greenwood ,Russell, Murray? Wonder how it is and how you set up to hunt them?

#2 ·
On a serious note good luck on greenwood, they're dropping it 20ft. or more this winter. That's at least what I've heard. No promises. My best spots are those retention ponds by the super centers. Shadow grass works well. Hard to use a boat though. Limits in no time. Kind of scares people when they walk by with their kids and buggy. Whack and stack em, buy more shells in less than 5 min. Good Luck playing with the crowd on the lakes, the gold decoy spread usually work the best though. Quack, Quack, Bang, Squeal!!!

#4 ·
yeah, dang chain-link fences suck. lol. but we hunt the lakes a pretty good bit. the only issue is that it's like friday nights at the movies at the beginning of the season. you have to wake up way too early to reassure you have your spot and still have to hope the ducks fly the same today as they did yesterday. just make sure you don't slip into some other dudes spot that he has corned up. happened to a bunch of people last year. especially on greenwood. i just wish there were more waterfowl refuges around the upstate. you have the pee dee and the lower state has the ace basin and a lot of rice fields. we have too many people, not enough area. especially for the new guys that love to run and gun and can't call.

good luck man, you have any pics from other seasons?

#6 ·
definitely would agree with that statement... better just bring the dove stool and call for the guy sitting on the power line, most guys don't even try to work the birds, so they rather just blow loud and sky blast with the mojo's running at 1,200 rpm

#7 ·
greenwood can be good if you get back in the but like the the other guy said the main lake is usually packed and i happen to be one of the guys that almost got screwd because a home owner that liked to feed the ducks put 50lbs of corn out the night before a coulpe of us went.. we checked the spot the day before and i also stopped and talked to a DNR officer about the spot we were going to hunt and he said we were all good but anyway russell usually holds a decent amount of ducks around the side near boat landings if you follow all the way up stream to the dam u can usually catch them there.. secession holds ducks but youll have to because of all the houses on the main lake.......(I wouldnt hunt greenwood period to begin with to many jackass's out there but if you can find the ducks more power to ya.. anybody with good sense and a respectable attitude toward hunting and others hunters should be welcomed any were they wanna hunt but if someone comes in on you and starts blastin ducks a mile high or is right on top of you runnin around wide open in the boat tell them to move on im shure theyll understand and if they dont a good stell shot off the side of the boat will get there attention)

#10 ·
SeaArkDude said:
Is it illegal to hunt Secession? For some reason some info of that has trickled down to me, but seems to me that isn't true. I don't hunt there but just wondering because I don't remember seeing anything about it in the rules and regs.
u cant hunt hunt the lake because of the houses but you can hunt it if you get back in the river i know alot of people usually hunt towards the russell secession dam

#12 ·
SeaArkDude said:
So you can actually hunt the lake? The shooting distance from the houses being the problem? Correct?
yea you can hunt on the lake but the only legal place to hunt is in the river.thats the only place that dosent have a house near it but you might be able to find a cove or two ive never hunted it but a couple buddys of mine have and they've done pretty good

#13 ·
I also almost got screwed because last year a guy saw me scouting out a cove in the waterloo area at the mouth of the Reedy that i was planning on hunting the next morning. He slipped out at night and put corn everywhere, and we couldnt see it when we were hunting. When we shot at a duck, he called the DNR on us. Luckily i knew the officer. Watch out for that stuff

#14 ·
jackcathcart said:
I also almost got screwed because last year a guy saw me scouting out a cove in the waterloo area at the mouth of the Reedy that i was planning on hunting the next morning. He slipped out at night and put corn everywhere, and we couldnt see it when we were hunting. When we shot at a duck, he called the DNR on us. Luckily i knew the officer. Watch out for that stuff
That's the same spot a few people got screwed in a couple years ago. I talked to DNR about it and they are trying to get the homeowner and put the screws to him. Don't know if they have yet. Not as of the first season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.