hunting roosting areas

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

hunting roosting areas

Postby windjammer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey guys,
Two of the spots I have scouted for this upcoming season seem to have a lot resident ducks that roost there. Normally I would go in and quietly set up, and hope the birds didn't start leaving til legal hours, but one of these places is so small I feel like my presence alone will scare the birds away even at 5 am. How do yall hunt in instances where you know the spot youre going into may already have birds? Do you wait to setup your spread until daylight?..
Thanks
windjammer
hunter

Re: hunting roosting areas

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:26 am

If you wait til daylight then the birds are already on the water and your certainly screwed with no chance. I would get in well before daylight and stay very quiet. I used to have a spot just like that and never had a problem until I got there after the birds flew down. Once that happened and you spook em defintely over. Done that to. :fingerhead: Might try looking for another way in or getting on the edge where the birds are going to fly down and set up instead of getting in on top of em.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:18 pm

ive had luck with going it at 3-4am range and knock them off.....then had them come back within the hour.....

personally ive done the roost hunting and wouldnt do that.....i would try to find the fields they are using and hunt that
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby greenheadsmoker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm

one way to ruin your hunting for the year is to shoot the roost find out where they are feeding and shoot them there :beer:
greenheadsmoker
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 am

UpSouth811 wrote:ive had luck with going it at 3-4am range and knock them off.....then had them come back within the hour.....

personally ive done the roost hunting and wouldnt do that.....i would try to find the fields they are using and hunt that

Yeah we usually jump any birds off our spot when we get there in the morning. They almost always come back. They have no way of knowing what is making the noise so that's why they come back. You don't have to shout or anything, just walk up and start setting up.
agengo02
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 pm

I agree, you deffinitely shouldn't set up in a roost area. You may have one or two good shoots, but after that you will be listening to the tweety birds at daylight. They need a place to rest and sleep. Find out where they go, or try to cut them off after they leave the roost.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby SkyPeeler » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:09 pm

JUst go in in the afternoon and kill as many as you can!! :lol3: :lol3:
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:18 pm

if there is no other way to hunt the birds then go in during the middle of the day and clear out a nice trail and rake out the leaves so you can sneak in without making any noise. They will never here you coming.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Go rent some scuba gear and spend the night under the water. Pull em under one at a time until you have your limit.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting