Hail Call to SC Duck Men

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Hail Call to SC Duck Men

Postby BirdDogRip » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Hello all just wanted to drop in real quick from the DHC VA forum where I've been hanging out for the last couple of years. I'll be moving into the upstate Spartanburg area in the next week or so. Already got my licenses for VA before I move so I'll probably be up there most of time for duck/goose hunting and begin my scouting for SC. Of course I can't resist getting out where ever I am. You all should have high hopes for this year as I believe we're in the cycle of real winters again which means more birds will make it to SC than in the past decade. I am a duck man to the bone so I never get bummed about seeing few or no birds. That's what makes you appreciate what you do get. Central VA required a lot of scouting too before I learned the patterns and hot spots but it can be done. I'm an old ducker from Minnesota that move to VA in 97 and now we're heading to SC. BTW me and the guys (my 4 bird dogs) hunt all game birds seriously, so all you bird hunters give me a shout and lets put some miles or water under our dogs. Shout out to Brian Sullivan if you are on DHC. Send me a PM.

Last words before you are bored to tears. You all need to use and abuse this site talking about the up coming season, tips and tricks, and meeting each other. I noticed the posting is pretty sparse on the SC forum unlike the VA guys who seem to never get enough. Later SC Duckmen
BirdDogRip...
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Re: Hail Call to SC Duck Men

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 pm

i'm from spartanburg myself so shoot me a pm and if i'm not in school i'm probably in the woods so if you want to go let me know. just a forwarning ducks are sparse in my neck of the woods so i go to the lowstate alot of times but i know a few places around spartanburg where we might could get into a few.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby Spottail » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Most of the South Carolina duck hunters that use the internet use www.scducks.com.
The SC forum over here is and always has been pretty dead.
I don't post here much, but enjoy the decoy forum, as well as some of the other state forums.

Welcome to SC.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 am

Seasons almost here. I just have to get my DL and then I'll get licened for SC. I'm fully geared and ready to go. Moving boxes are empty and it's time hit the fields and water. I don't have the spots yet but time will tell. I'm fully outfitted for land and water in case anyone wants to join forces for a trip. :beer:
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby Hoke » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:04 am

unless your hunting Geese, there is no need for the field decoys. that doesn't happen down here, or at least I have never seen it or much less heard about it. I believe you're getting ready to get a whole new understanding about hunting ducks. literally hunting to find ducks. it's tough. good luck
If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, I do not wish to be sane. -Robert Ruark
Hoke
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:47 am

On occasion you will pass a field with a few mallards in it as well as geese so i know of one spot where that can be useful if the farmer plants corn and doesn't crp the field.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks Hoke, I'm new to the area but certainly not new to hunting ducks or geese. Maybe my post was missunderstood, I have and will do the scouting during the SC season but I will be hunting primarily in VA as I have my last resident license. I just figured if there was a newcomer to the sport or otherwise they may want some resources and an experienced hunter if I'm around. Not looking for spots lets make that clear. Just new friends, particularly duck hunters. I figure upstate SC hunting will be similar to central VA hunting a lot work, but it's more fun when it's not easy. The best hunting in the East will be in the flyway. I got my start on the Mississippi flyway of MN. Again just looking for die hard duck hunting friends. I'm in Upstate. Later all.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby Spottail » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:34 pm

BirdDogRip,

I am not trying to discredit this site.
I enjoy reading in a few of the other state forums.

But if you really want decent info, the majority of SC duck hunters that are internet savy, use WWW.SCDUCKS.COM.
You will certainly be cast aside for asking about hunting locations and such, but once you've been around for a while, you will see that the site is full of waterfowl knowledge. You will learn quite easily who actually hunts ducks and who just likes the forum for entertainment.
But all in all its a good site.

It has much more activity than the SC forum here.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby honkertalker » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:58 pm

dont get on sc ducks, unless you like a bunch of haters talkin crap
Blow somthing thats worth something...
honkertalker
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:38 pm

honkertalker wrote:dont get on sc ducks, unless you like a bunch of haters talkin crap

Agreed to much junk and not enough duck talk over there.
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Hey all. Yep this is the only place to be. Just mention it to your friends and don't mention it on SCDucks. In VA we used it alot. Very popular. Occasional idiots popped up but they get weeded out.
On too better things.

Was looking at some non huntable private water today and it was loaded with wood ducks. Starting to the itch. Wish I was out shooting sea ducks but got to finish landing this job first. Studying to get licensed as a Financial Advisor. Wife want me to start making money again. Go figure. :yes:
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:27 am

Oh yea the upstate it's hard to get into the big ducks but not to hard to have a decent woody swat. I guess its because i have hunted them so much that there is nothing that i love more than to see ducks working the timber and i love to hear that whine of a wood duck.
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby honkertalker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:47 pm

heck yea man we gotta pond we go to and wax em every thanks giving! sometimes catch a mallard being lonely
Blow somthing thats worth something...
honkertalker
hunter

Postby Trogers5 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 am

honkertalker wrote:heck yea man we gotta pond we go to and wax em every thanks giving! sometimes catch a mallard being lonely

Lonely and Lost!! :biggrin:
Trogers5
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting