Charleston Area (kind of off topic)

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Charleston Area (kind of off topic)

Postby BB1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:44 pm

I know there are a few threads about Charleston, but this isn't specifically duck hunting. I am heading down for Navy Power School in DEC, and I am trying to decide what to bring with me for gear.

Should I really bother with hunting gear, or should I just stick to fishing gear? I am thinking about bringing my boat (larger 14' aluminum) to fish the harbor and rivers. Given I am only going to have weekends, I don't know if it is worth bring all my duck hunting gear too. The only thing I really hunt other than waterfowl is partridge (grouse.) Are there opportunities for upland game in the area, or anything else to hunt?

Thanks for any information. Again, I am not looking for spots (reading some of these threads you all seem to assume everyone is undercover trying to find your honey holes), just want idea of what there are for opportunities in the area so I can bring the appropriate gear.
BB1
hunter

Re: Charleston Area (kind of off topic)

Postby SeaArkDude » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Bring it all man! You can't go wrong with hunting and fishing stuff. I find it easier to duck hunt on the really cold days and fish on the warmer ones. That boat would be perfect to take just about anywhere.

As for duck hunting, Charleston area is the best for the entire state. The East Coast flyway isn't much to call a flyway but it consists of the only migratory route for the Carolinas. Most of the Charleston boys hate for the out-of-towners to come in and shoot "their" ducks. Be especially carefull about hunting public areas. Many people will bait areas. Not to bring in ducks, but to keep everone from being able to hunt it. Weird philosophy I think, but et's because SC doesn't have a lot of ducks for the reason that people act crazy about them.

As for upland game, it's going to be pretty tough to find any of that unless you get in good with someone or willing to pay to go to someones plantation that bring in and realease birds. Being quail, pheasante, etc. Some places may have some wild quail, but the SC populations are low; therefore, most have to be raised and large amounts of work to be done for habitat.

Just wondering,where are you coming from?

Dont get cranky chucktown boys if you take issue with this.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby BB1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:12 am

I am from Maine, so a lot of "their ducks" are probably our ducks on winter vacation, lol. Never had problems with other hunters up here, but we have a lot of water, and people tend to be more friendly then most places.

I have limited space since I am going to be in an apartment complex, and I am getting some decent hunting in now, thus debating what to bring. Just found out it is $50 a month to use the boat lot, so now debating that. Shooting raised birds never interested me much, so I guess upland might be out of the picture. I have heard the fishing is good,and I am bummed about missing ice fishing season, so I might concentrate on that.

Thanks for the info.
BB1
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Maine! Man, that's a long ways to the south. You will have fun either hunting or fishing. If you're bringing your boat you might as well bring at least the bare minimum for duck hunting. The people aren't that bad, it's just something to watch out for. I would rather have my stuff and not use it than not having it and needing it. Since you're from Maine, there isn't any driving home one day and picking it up for the weekend.

And I agree, the ducks that end up here are more than likely the ones that made it down the coast line. Hunting around here will definitely test your skills as a duck hunter since they have seen just about everything. The two ducks you can count on is the teal and wood ducks. Those are pretty much a given. You shouldn't have a problem getting the 3 wood duck limit every time.

Ya'll shoot many woodies up there? As for ice fishing. You will never find that around here. The few coldest days are ones that reach in the 10-20 degree weather, and that's not saying the next weekend can't be 60 degrees. You might find ice on the water! Temperature can vary a good bit. Like right now it gets down to 45-46 at night and 80-86 in the afternoon. Big difference. Go in warm, come out sweating you're balls off. I don't know how good you are at fishing, so I'll leave that up to you.

Hope this helps.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby BB1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:13 am

We have a lot of woodies in certain parts of the state, they tend to leave earlier though, but they are thick right now in some of my favorite spots. I find teal in a couple locations, and they are thick in those spots. I have decoys for both, so maybe I will bring them down and leave my my mallards at home. Even with the duck hunting boat, most of the spots I go are swamps that you can't get a boat into, so I usually hunt from waders, so SC duck hunting will likely be a lot of new experiences anyway.

In terms of fishing, I am not that "good" at saltwater, but learning would be part of the experience. Normally like to fish trout/salmon, and just discovered crappie recently and got hooked on that.
BB1
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Yeah the crappie fishing is generally pretty good this time of year. Do you do much striper fishing? We do most of ours finding the birds diving on the lakes. I dont know personally, but some people say the same can be done for some saltwater fishing. Like when the reds run in the rivers and what not.

The woody and teal decoys should do pretty good, just in case might wanna bring a handful of mallards. Heard the hunting can be pretty good when the people at the plantations start shooting. They normally have a lot of rice or millet fields that attract ducks. So when those ducks leave might be able to find some strays.

It's not uncommon to find pintails, widgeon, mallards, bluebills, buffleheads, ringnecks, woodies, teal, readheads, (not all in one day) but those larger ducks are fair and few between since they have to travel all the way down the coast to end up here. Just have to be in the right place at the right time. What species do you normally see when you hunt?

And I agree, it will deffinately be a learning curve when you get down. Finding spots to hunt/fish and what not.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Also, just wondering. What kind of calls do you use?
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby BB1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:10 am

Depends on where I hunt. My favorite spots are mostly woodies, blacks, mallards, and green wing teal. With bigger water you can run into a whole host of different divers, a lot of mergansers, golden eye, buffleheads, etc; but I don't hunt those areas much. Also geese. I want to do some sea ducking, but I don't see that happening for a while.

For calls I have a mallard and woodie. I pretty much never use the wood duck, and I barely use the mallard. Some of my buddies call more (more skilled than I am) but pretty much everyone I hunt with just uses the mallard (and goose call)
BB1
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Cool stuff man, hope things work out for you this season. I'm sure you'll love living in the Charleston area. For calls, I love my Zink XR-2. A little pricey but that baby sounds like an ol' hen for sure. Not many people have them. Another reason why I like calling with it.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 pm

I would like to shoot a goldeneye and get it mounted.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting