wood duck decoys

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

wood duck decoys

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:16 pm

ive always used mallard decoys for all ducks. i was thinking about buying some wood duck decoys and wanted to know if wood duck decoys work better for woodies than using mallard decoys.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: wood duck decoys

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:48 pm

i have had good luck with woody decoys and even though some would disagree a good woody call will help bring them in and get their attention.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby bcalls » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

I have had them land in both types. I watched some last season land beside my woody dekes and swim all around them and then fly into the box I had put up.just makes you wonder if they ever give them any thought. Neat watching them paired up in the market for a new house. :biggrin:

Brad
bcalls
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:44 pm

They'll land in both. Woodies Just land where they are comfortable. They're not going to circle like mallards. If they don't drop immediately all to hope for is a flyby (calls definately will help draw them closer being that woodies are very vocal during their fly time - especially with a fog). Woodduck decoys are good for the mix overall though because they are confidence decoys. Always good to have a mix of decs. :thumbsup:
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby Summerduck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Gonna have to agree with Birddog, theirs nothing wrong with a mixed bag of dekes. Get a few and try it, I can honestly say putting a few woody dekes out hasnt ever helped me to much, but its never hurt me either.
Summerduck
hunter

Postby duck2010hunter » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:24 am

I would say No, Wood Ducks in SC are like Flies around my sandwhich. You can sit in the middle of a corn field with a striped black and white jacket and an orange hat and bomb a limit. My advice would be stick with the mallards-ringnecks-teal. Now those ducks are fun to watch decoy :hi:
duck2010hunter
hunter

Postby honkertalker » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:55 pm

i would say they do or at least look more comfortable landing and after they land. if there is a group of mallards and a group of woodies near each other the wood ducks land smack dab with the mallards expericend it today! :wink:
Blow somthing thats worth something...
honkertalker
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting