Funniest hunting dog moment....

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Funniest hunting dog moment....

Postby BirdDogRip » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Lets hear it. Tell us what crazy stunts your canine did in the field or water. :banana:
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Re: Funniest hunting dog moment....

Postby BirdDogRip » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Cold winter day in Iowa, at least 6 inches of snow fell the night before. Dogs are tracking birds that have been buried under the snow in their grassy lairs. My buddy's springer plows into a snow mound and disappears completely, my springer follows suit in through the same hole and gone. 1 -2 seconds later out from underneath the fresh undisturbed snow mound burst the pheasant, first springer plows through the little hole to shoulders stops, underneath the chest of the first dog comes my dog exposed to shoulders and stops. Both holding as trained waiting for the signal to retrieved downed bird. All you could expect exept that it was a hen.

And it's just plain cool to watch a 40lb springer retrieve a 10lb goose from land or water.
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby JAKE22STL » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Back in the early 90's I was duck hunting with my Dad in IL. The pond we were hunting was part of treatment plant, the "clean" water after being filtered. There was another pond to our rear which held pre-filtered water as Dad called it the sh*t pond. Now at the time I was 10ish and looking back I have no clue why we set up between the two. Any way there we hunkered down in the tall grass that bordered the water. When several buffel head cut across the pond right at us we pop up shoot. I miss with one shot my dad smashes the drake, however... the bird sails past us into the sh*t pond behind us. Without pause our lab makes a powerful sprint to the downed bird Dads yelling heal the dog jumps in gets to the bird. Grabs it along with other stuff and swims back hoping out of the sludge, covered in muck and never more proud of herself.
JAKE22STL
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Based on the love that dogs have with rolling in pooh that dog must have been in heaven.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby Moose05 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:27 am

Early season in SC. Took my 25 lb Boykin, Dez. Had a flock of Canadas fly over and knocked down 2, one on the edge of the lake and the other in the brush on land. Since I could see the one on the bank, I sent her after the second. Little brown dog disappeared into the brush near the woods. I heard some rustling and the next thing I saw was little brown dog hauling *** out of the brush with a full-grown Canada in hot pursuit hissing and flapping its' wings which made it appear much bigger than Dez. Although she was an awesome dog who always wanted to please, she would never go near another goose after that.
Moose05
Newb

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting