Leasing land for duck hunting

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Leasing land for duck hunting

Postby Griffin4590 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:31 pm

I'll me moving from AK to charleston and I am interested in leasing (or buying if its real nice) land within 2 hours of charleston. either with impoundments or space/rights to build some. any information on where to start looking would be nice. I am asking in reference to the 2011 duck season
Thanks
Griffin4590
hunter

Re: Leasing land for duck hunting

Postby UpSouth811 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:08 pm

ill be there first to say welcome and you should be disappointed lol compared to what you see where your from
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby honkertalker » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:08 pm

UpSouth811 wrote:ill be there first to say welcome and you should be disappointed lol compared to what you see where your from

yep!
Blow somthing thats worth something...
honkertalker
hunter

Postby Spottail » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:08 pm

South Carolina duck hunting will be much different from what you are used to.
That being said, we do have decent hunting.
Land in high duck concentration areas will be expensive, especially coastal areas.
Finding land a little more inland with duck ponds isn't much of a problem, and you can always be sure you will have plenty of wood ducks and teal.

Most coastal clubs that actually hold decent numbers of birds have outrageous fees and really aren't worth it.

I would recommend looking around for a few years before committing to something.
Whatever you do, don't get caught up in the embarrassment that is the South Carolina Waterfowl Association.
Its a trashy exploitation of SC's waterfowling heritage.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome boys. I am not new to the carolinas by any means. i spent years duck hunting pemlico sound in NC and lived in charleston for 6 years. I know the struggle that is SC duck hunting but I enjoy the challenge. I do however hate crowds and would like to lease something. I'll prob end up waiting till i find something just right. I already lease 3 plots for deer hunting in andrews that hold wood ducks but thats it
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:11 pm

yeah you can find ducks...but to be successful here you have to spend a lot of time on the water to do well but personally i enjoy out scouting and seeing the hard work pay off
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:57 pm

I agree. to many people internet scout and wonder why they dont kill anything. I will miss Alaska's 8 bird limit and abundance of non educated waterfowl tho. But last week when i was in Charleston it was in the 70s, landed in anchorage and its 16 with a foot of snow :fingerhead: I'll never live up north again
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:43 pm

:beer: I can sort of relate Griff. I moved to the south east from MN. Can't say that I prefer the warmer weather yet. I still find myself out on the coldest days and busting ice if need be. Old habits die hard for this native midwesterner. Welcome to the area. :welcome:
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 pm

well i do not welcome yanks, but welcome. leasing property for ducks only, are you looking for wild impoundments, or are you going to stock them with clipped toes. i do not belive you are going to find a impoundment to lease that has a regular fly thru, so iam guessing you are wanting to put clip toes in. now i may be wrong in this, and if iam i will say iam sorry. but i do not think iam. i see the few people here post there are no ducks here, well there are not that many as the middle flyway. but there are enough to have to have some really good hunts. it does take some scouting and to deal with people around them, but it is there . just my .02 on this, by the way , i hate clipped toe operations.
btduckcall
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm

First off I am a SC native. I moved up here for work and I am moving back home. Second I refuse to shoot tame ducks aka clip toes. More or less just looking for land near a decent body of water (edisto or the similar) that has or has places to build impoundments for WILD ducks. If I wanted to shoot tame birds I know where plunty of chicken coops are.
Griffin4590
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting