tradition..

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

tradition..

Postby MARSHTACKI » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Ethics...morals...just a short piece if you will. I havent experienced waterfowling anywhere than my home state of SC. The ACE (acronym for the 3 rivers of the watershed) basin of SC is an expansive picturesque marshland probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 350,000 acres, teeming with wildfowl and other wildlife. Indeed, not as abundant in recent times compared to the days when ducks blackened the sky, but still they are plentiful. This magical ecosystem made up of hundreds of old rice fields, remote creeks, and bays used to be dotted with permanant duck blinds, as recently as the 1980's. The dilapidated remains of a few blinds are still standing. The cherished duck blind has succombed to extinction in our neck of the woods fellas! I can't imagine anything more frustrating than arriving at a permanant blind of mine to find someone sitting in it or a mound of ashes in the marsh where my blind used to be. Mind you, this is just one display of unsportsmanlike conduct that has caused our sport to suffer. For the life of me, I cannot fathom why folks don't feel accomplished unless they bring home more ducks than a market gunner of the 30's. Additionally, I cannot fathom why folks spend hundreds of dollars on decoy spreads and never give birds a chance to land in them, it seems the shooting begins as soon as the birds are spotted. Let the birds work, and if they prefer the adjacent hunter's decoy spread, so be it. Improve your tactics, and I don't mean your high altitude passing shot to scare the ducks out of range for everyone. The point i'm trying to make here is our sport is suffering from unsportsmanlike conduct in general. Let's share the bounty, even if the birds arent as numerous as your granddaddy said they were "in the good ole days." To me its about the hunt, the camaradrie, a boykin spaniel retrieving, and knowing that this is my escape from the real world. That beats the britches off of market gunning if you ask me!
MARSHTACKI
hunter

Re: tradition..

Postby Santee11 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Agree
Santee11
hunter

Postby Summerduck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Well said.
Summerduck
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:05 pm

10-4
Red Huck
hunter

10-4
Red Huck
hunter

10-4
Red Huck
hunter

Postby SkyPeeler » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:58 pm

BLAST EM!!!
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Postby grey duck » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:37 am

When people make me mad like this I usally deflate their tires or take the plug out of their boat. This usally discourages unwanted behaviors from reoccuring.
grey duck
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting