where they at

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

where they at

Postby josh 06 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:16 pm

hey my name is josh robinson. i hunt in upstate south carolina at a few small pot holes and a couple of lakes. this year has been really disappointing so far. last year there were lots of teal,mallards, gadwall,ringnecks and as always tons of woodies. so far this year all we've shot is wood ducks and one hen gadwall. a decent flock of mallards came over screaming the other morning but did'nt even tap the brakes same with a flock of greenwings.only group of the two i've seen all year.i think our main problem is that a guy bougt a huge farm about a mile away and built a couple of big duck impoundments where he floods millet fields.i've heard people pay the guy to hunt there which i'd rather not do and the man raises mallards and turns them loose for people to shoot. sorry if this offends anybody but i don't consider that hunting. that's pretty sad. i've thought about planting some rice myself but need some advice on how to go about it. or maybe some advice on something else to plant in about 3-6 inches of water for next season. oh yeah one more thing i'm going to the outerbanks in north carolina to hunt at the end of january. anyone been there? what can i expect? i here it's great.thanks and bust the hell out of some ducks!
josh 06
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:54 am

I hunt in East TN so I feel your pain. Until the last week or so we have been gunnin em pretty good. Weather! I think that may be our problems. You more than myself need a good nothern wind and a cold northeast to lock up the New Englands. When a strong cold front from the northeast blows in here I will be on the water. It has to be a big wind out of the west to push ducks off the Mississippi all this way. You may be competeing with the millet fields alittle but if they are getting gunned everyday I would think you would be seeing more birds that were looking for other food sources. As for the outher banks I have never been there but I hear it can be awesome at times. Are you getting a guide? Let us know how it works out for ya.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

east tn

Postby mayes76 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:25 am

open water killing a lot of grey ducks?
in our last three hunts in east tn limited out in less than 2 hours.
mayes76
Newb

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting