high flying mallards

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

high flying mallards

Postby scdc » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm new to the forum, looked around for a while on this forum and the internet and couldn't find anything.. I am hunting on a swamp portion of a WMA in the upstate and having trouble with some mallards committing to the decs. After many hours of scouting I have found out where they are feeding and what portions of the swamps they are sitting on during the day (including the wood duck roosts). There isn't too much hunting pressure because not to many people realize this huge swamp on the WMA. Sometimes there can be a good bit of people but I walk through the swamp over a mile to get away from all the commotion/pressure of some other hunters and way more ducks. I have no trouble blasting the woodies but I want to get at some late season green heads before the season is over. The mallards are coming from some category I waterfowl management area where they are feeding and they come in huge flocks but I've only seen 1 person bring a group down. Last saturday I tried rigging up an old school jerk string and they came down to about 50-60 yards and never committed the last 20 yards I wanted them to. I've tried aggressive calling, very light (single quacks) calling with feeding calls, and I just can't seem to figure out what these birds need to commit. I'm set up on the swamp that they rest on about 9 A.M and they came down and landed on the opposite end of the swamp after an hour of circling my spread. The woodies respond every time, its just the mallards I can't get to come down low enough for a few good shots. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated...
scdc
hunter

Re: high flying mallards

Postby DDC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:38 am

Take your decoy spread down to 2 decoys on a jerk string, and try not calling.
DDC
hunter

Postby CSS » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:59 pm

make sure your hidden good! if they're circling you and landing on the opposite side then they're seeing something they dont like or the wind is wrong make sure your setup to were they're landing into the wind and if you know they're already coming in there then just a few feeding calls and acouple quacks to get there attention is all you need good luck
CSS
hunter

Postby SC134 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Maybe try calling less. I'm sure those ducks have heard it all.
SC134
hunter

Postby scdc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 am

Thanks for the info- I'm going to try a whole lot less calling, and change where I put my decs out. I didn't realize it until I thought about it, but I had been putting decs out where they would not land into the wind. I'm going hunting in a few hours, we'll see how it works out.
scdc
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 am

If you find some big ducks already on the water and flush them out easily (do not shoot) then set up where they were, with only a couple of well painted decoys that move, you ought to be able to harvest a few when they come back. They were there for a reason and if not pushed out too hard, they will come back.

Camo, face mask, get behind a tree, HIDE. Leave the duck call home unless your are really sure how to use it, remember they were there before with nobody calling.

Good luck
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby scdc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 pm

I've had full camo (face paint, dog w/ drake jacket on etc). I went wednesday to the same spot and the mallards weren't really flying on the swamp because the ice, however the woodies were flying like crazy. A roost is 150 yards away. I added some more jerk strings and they noticed my spread more but the ice reformed so there was nowhere for them to land. I tried calling less but they definitely responded more to my calling, there was less hunters so I think they didn't get as confused with everybody quacking non stop at them.
scdc
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Find where they want to be, even the best callers and hunters can not always get them to come where they are.

Scout until you find a place they are using, ease them out, they will come back if you do not shoot them out.

A couple of really good decoys with bright colors are better in the timber than dozens of drab ones.

Good luck.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby scdc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for the info- I'll try it out again in the morning
scdc
hunter

Postby honkertalker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 am

Id only use half a dozen maybe a dozen decoys with a jerk string, that look really realistic. and use a mojo put it either behind you with a coupe decoys around it, but still in shooting range. and dont move at all!
Blow somthing thats worth something...
honkertalker
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting