First year duck hunting

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

First year duck hunting

Postby fordfan87 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 am

This has been my first year duck hunting and I must say I have really enjoyed it. However, I live in the Upstate and I dont know too many duck hunters and I only have a small pond boat. How can I find more places to hunt or more people to hunt with?
fordfan87
Newb

Re: First year duck hunting

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:08 am

Since you are in the gaffney area i would recommend checking out the broad river quite a few ducks use the river as a flyway and for feeding so if your boat can navigate some of the broad get out and do some scouting and you should be able to find some good places. I would also recommend getting out on some public water some of the big lakes in the state and you can do pretty well as long as you do some scouting.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 am

Oh and since i just noticed that this is your first post welcome to the forum. PM me if you want some more info and i will see what i can do for you since i do live in spartanburg i do know the area pretty well.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby fordfan87 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks C-Hawk19. Yea I know several people that go on the river but my little boat just wont get it out there lol. I am graduating in May and gonna start my real job so I am purchasing a bigger boat over the summer. And I will def hit you with some PM's. I still have so much to learn, its almost overwhelming.
fordfan87
Newb

Postby C-Hawk19 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Got ya i will be glad to help with the little bit of knowledge i have accumulated in the ten years or so that i have duck hunted.
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby Dishrag » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm from the Upstate too. Got my first season under my belt this year, went to Reelfoot Lake in West TN for 3 days in December, awesome time, lots of ducks, serious blinds. I've also hunted down in Green Sea by the coast at a buddy's family's land, wader hunting in the marshy swamps....loved it.

Got my first Banded Bird second time out!!!

I'd be interested in finding out more about where/how to hunt the upstate so I can start prepping for next season....can never start too soon.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Dishrag
Newb

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm

:welcome: I have a small boat also but I didn't let that stop me. I got out on the public lakes but just was real careful on where I went. Found the nearest landing to the area I wanted to go..etc. You never stop learning if your doing it right because the ducks are changing all the time. Get out and scout, talk to the game wardens and go scout some more. Good luck.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby grey duck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Dishrag wrote:I'm from the Upstate too. Got my first season under my belt this year, went to Reelfoot Lake in West TN for 3 days in December, awesome time, lots of ducks, serious blinds. I've also hunted down in Green Sea by the coast at a buddy's family's land, wader hunting in the marshy swamps....loved it.

I'd be interested in finding out more about where/how to hunt the upstate so I can start prepping for next season....can never start too soon.

Try SCDUCKS. You will find them to be very helpful.
grey duck
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:37 pm

grey duck wrote:
Dishrag wrote:I'm from the Upstate too. Got my first season under my belt this year, went to Reelfoot Lake in West TN for 3 days in December, awesome time, lots of ducks, serious blinds. I've also hunted down in Green Sea by the coast at a buddy's family's land, wader hunting in the marshy swamps....loved it.

Somebody's gonna learn the hard way. :no:
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:56 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:
grey duck wrote:

Somebody's gonna learn the hard way. :no:

yep
C-Hawk19
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting