Boykin Spaniel?

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Boykin Spaniel?

Postby CSS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:34 pm

does anyone have a boykin spaniel and do you like the way they work on the water?
CSS
hunter

Re: Boykin Spaniel?

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Mother-in-law has one. Best house pet you could ask for. Not worth a crap in the woods or on the water. Gun shy big time.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby scdc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 pm

A gun shy dog is a mistake of the trainer and not much to do with the dog. :hammer: One dog could take more time to be introduced to guns than other dogs.. You can't just shoot a 12 gauge 3.5" in front of a young dog and expect nothing to happen. Boykin spaniels are great, but small waterfowl dogs, they have some amazing drive to please its owner. Also, the genetics (pedigree) of the dog is a BIG factor.

very true. I don't know how the dog got that way but she's that way now. Has been all her life.
scdc
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:08 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Mother-in-law has one. Best house pet you could ask for. Not worth a crap in the woods or on the water. Gun shy big time.

i agree that is the owners bad, a pup is like a child it is taught how to react. my first dog was a boykin, had her for 13yrs, awesome dove dog, and warm weather duck, but when it got cold , felt very sorry for her, so got a lab to do the brunt of work. i would have another one, if i did not have two labs. great family dog. genetics does play a factor, but not always. foundation stock in boykins, is the best imo there is. only time any dog is not worth something, is because the owner or trainer did that to them. just my .02 and trust me i dont hunt like a weenie nor does my dogs
btduckcall
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 pm

I agree with you. We as owners make our dogs gun shy. I don't think we do it on purpose but it happens. The dog is reacting to something they have been exposed to. Don't know how this dog got that way but she has been for a long time.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby creekgeek » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm

I've a 2 year old female that just finished her 2nd year in the field. She's got a lot of heart and drive. I've hunted her in cold down to 18-20. Last year when the weather hit 15 she broke ice to get to a downed duck. She weighs in at 35lbs and that's one thing I like about her. I can throw her in the boat, I can pick her up and put her over logs, etc. She's been a blast.
creekgeek
hunter

Postby CSS » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:32 pm

thanks fellas now i just got to find one
CSS
hunter

Postby scdc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:49 pm

check gundogforum.com they have a lot of gun dogs for sale on there including help with training etc. They should have a few boykins. By far the most helpful forum I'm apart of.
scdc
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:54 pm

try boykinspaniel.org

also very true creekgeek, i miss those days, of being able to just grab her and put her in the boat with out getting soaked :thumbsup: mine was a hell of a dog, she never gave up on a retrieve, not matter how hard or cold. and damn she could out drink and and out fart my labs :beer:
btduckcall
hunter

Postby MARSHTACKI » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Check out Yokona River Boykins, down in Oxford, MS and Phil Hinchman at Brandywine Creek Boykins. I've been to the Boykin upland nationals a few times and Hinchman's dogs are just fantastic and classy. Mr. Black has an extremely helpful training blog on the Yocona river site.
MARSHTACKI
hunter

Postby brianc142 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Chris and Joni Bishop, Goose Pond Kennel have been breeding Boykins for over 20 years. (843)-362-0801. I am a Lab man but I bought a Boykin from Chris for my daughter. They have a very nice line of dogs that are good looking and birdy.
brianc142
hunter

Postby chasu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm

The picture below shows how they hit the water ! !

This one shows how they handle geese and snow ! !

chasu
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting