Goose Hunting in SC

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Goose Hunting in SC

Postby FishBlitz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:29 pm

I know they have that extended goose season that runs through February here in SC, anyone ever try and hunt them? I used to hunt a lot of them back in MD but don see many flying around here. Is it something worth trying? Whats the best approach to finding a place to hunt them?
FishBlitz
hunter

Re: Goose Hunting in SC

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:42 am

You know that goose season is only open during this week and then it's over. There is a stickie at the top with the season dates. Just making sure you know. To answer your question, I have never targeted geese specifically. I got some goose decoys this season and wanted to try so I am interested as well. I have noticed that they don't seem to fly until later in the mornings.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:55 pm

i hunt them a good bit, and they are in good numbers.they will surprise you at the different times of the day they will fly, from before sunrise on till midnight. we had some on sundays' youth hunt coming into the dekes at 7am. they are smart, if over shot they change their flight pattern, they are starting to get very wary theses days, but this is the best time to hunt them, they starting to pair and look for mates the younger birds. the season is shortier this year, you have till thursday the 10th. hope this helps alittle. here is a little teaser of a good short hunt we did .
btduckcall
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm

That's a nice bag right there. Post it in the season pics thread at the top so everyone can see it. Those are some beautiful dogs.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby ctrevis7 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Def some beautifull dogs, planning on heading down south tomorrw after school to shoot some geese as well
ctrevis7
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:30 am

you can get into the geese if you do some scouting on the lakes. there are a ton of resident geese on some of the upstate lakes. some of the small ones like silver lake and even places like Murray can hold quite a few but i don't hunt them much because i don't like how they taste so i don't target them much.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby FishBlitz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for the response guys. I didnt realize we were already this far into February. I may try a goose hunt on the 10th, last day. I live in Myrtle Beach and dont see many flying around. I may have to go scout some pots or something more inland like Marion county.
FishBlitz
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:That's a nice bag right there. Post it in the season pics thread at the top so everyone can see it. Those are some beautiful dogs.

thanks and will do. the one on the left was a freinds, she got hit by a car and he lost her, great dog. the one on right is my hard headed thug dog. :biggrin:
C-Hawk19 wrote:you can get into the geese if you do some scouting on the lakes. there are a ton of resident geese on some of the upstate lakes. some of the small ones like silver lake and even places like Murray can hold quite a few but i don't hunt them much because i don't like how they taste so i don't target them much.

C have tried deep frying nuggets of them, tastes great. or buttery fly them and grill them.
btduckcall
hunter

Postby clemsonwoodie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:39 pm

FishBlitz wrote:Thanks for the response guys. I didnt realize we were already this far into February. I may try a goose hunt on the 10th, last day. I live in Myrtle Beach and dont see many flying around. I may have to go scout some pots or something more inland like Marion county.

i live in marion county...there are a few here from time to time...but they are mostly on Private property. we did have a great goose hunt here in the 09-10 season. 4 guns 20 dead geese 4 dead mallards all in about 40 min time.
clemsonwoodie
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting