I think I've made my last duck hunting trip in S.C.!

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

I think I've made my last duck hunting trip in S.C.!

Postby santeerangerman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:36 pm

It just gets worse and worse every year.

What few ducks there are, are getting more and more pressure, and using fewer areas than ever before.

I went to one of my favorite holes this morning, and found there were at least 9 boats already there. Everyone blowing there calls at the same handful of ducks, no one letting birds work, people skybusting. It's like a damn Dove hunt, instead of duck hunting!!! :thumbsdown:

I mean, years ago, if a group of guys had birds working them, we would let the birds go, and let them work them. Now its like a free for all. :thumbsdown: EVERYBODY within a 1/2 mile blowing like hell, and half of them don't know a hail call, from a feeding chuckle.

I really think they need to shut the seasons down here completely.

Give the ducks a chance to come back, like thay used to.

I don't think it will be long, before just seeing a duck in S.C. will be a rareity.

Sorry for the rant. But I think we're destroying our sport here...
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:52 pm

I agree with you on some points. Over this way in Deepstep its the same way I dont know what people are thinking anymore. Every year it gets worse in some degree. We usually head the opposite way the rest of the idiots are not.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 am

this is my first season down here but i'm seeing the same damn thing. I think my call has touched my mouth 4 times total this year and that was just cause i hadn't seen any birds all morning and i wanted to make sure i could remember what they sounded like in case i heard one :toofunny: way to many people to wave at as i'm driving up the river. this weekend i was way late getting to the ramp and i was the 9th boat there... 3 more pulled up after me before i could launch (i didn't even see that many ducks)
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby carolinabirddawg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:59 pm

Hey guys I know what you are dealing with. I know how bad it is down in Santee. I use to work down there, but it has gotting about ten times as bad in Horry county. Thanksgiving morning I had a dude drive his boat through my spread a 6:45 in the morning. Four years ago I could get up a 5:30 and get my spots, now I have to get up at 2 jsut be sure I can get my spots and then I have to deal with rubberheads driving through my deks. It seems like ducking hunting is more of a money making sceem than anything else. I am a school teaching and all I hear is the students talking about going to the holes that I have been hunting for years now. I wish I had the money to build my own impounds.
carolinabirddawg
Newb

Postby santeerangerman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:09 pm

That really is the only way to have quality duck hunting here now, and even that is not a guarentee....

This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions,
but I really think that the 3.5" guns have changed they attitudes of some hunters. I KNOW it has, with the younger hunters.

I think that alot of hunters think that shooting at ducks, 70-80 yrds away,
is the norm, and I feel the ducks are beginning to get conditioned to this.
I do know that I've seen more crippled/dead birds, floating down the river in the last 4 years, than I ever have.

I doubt seriously, that very many of the hunters out there now, know the
thrill of working birds all the way down, into the decoys.

I know times change, but this is not for the better......

To me, THAT'S what duck hunting is all about.
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 pm

They all are in Miss. :toofunny: I just got back and man the birds I have never seen so many at one time or during a standard hunt.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby santeerangerman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:58 pm

SCoutdoorsman wrote:They all are in Miss. :toofunny: I just got back and man the birds I have never seen so many at one time or during a standard hunt.

Were you hunting near Greenwood Miss?
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:31 pm

santeerangerman wrote:
SCoutdoorsman wrote:They all are in Miss. :toofunny: I just got back and man the birds I have never seen so many at one time or during a standard hunt.

Were you hunting near Greenwood Miss?
i

We were in Tunica, thats the best i know. NW part of the state.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting