paint for decoys??

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

paint for decoys??

Postby CSS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:40 pm

does anyone know of a good brand of paint i could use to repaint some mallard decoys and some brand new woodys i bought some hidgon woody decoys last minute at the end of the season and they just don't look like a woody to me and my mallards are just beat all to pieces.
CSS
hunter

Re: paint for decoys??

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 pm

http://www.takeem.com/tp.php
This should help you get started.

http://www.decoypaint.com/
Never used this paint but it seems to work well on factory decoys.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Bgold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Krylon fusion in flat works pretty well
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 pm

now this is my belive, anyone can chime and tell me iam wrong i don't care , but do read all of the post.i would not waste the time or the money. 1. buy the best you can get in the first place maybe not a dozen maybe a few, then buy more , clean them after season, and they will last. only ones i do touch up are a few geese. so that look like young birds . i have more dekes than i know what to do with.2 another lesson taught, i dont need that many. as far as summer ducks , iam sorry they will fly into what ever hole is open if they want it. the last day we hunted was youth day with three mallards, one half mallard, one goose , and one ringer and the summers ate them up. ok last but not least 3 :biggrin: . follow the above.
btduckcall
hunter

Postby CSS » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 pm

i've got three good carrylite DC preening drake mallards that i bought when they first came out the others are final approach i believe.. my mom bought them for me 7 yrs ago when i was 15 and all i've ever used so i guess i could put them up as a decoration or something but i really dont know which ones are good quality. i can tell wich ones look the most realistic but every maker advertises there better than the next so any info would be helpful on mallard and teal decoys...gonna try the early teal this year in the lower part of the state
CSS
hunter

Postby txcstquackwkr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:31 pm

i just bought a couple dozen ghg pro grade blue and greenwing teal dekes and i tell ya what they look pretty sharp and i only paid about 20 bucks a six pack i mean thats a little more than the bass pro brands but they really look good
txcstquackwkr
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 am

CSS wrote:i've got three good carrylite DC preening drake mallards that i bought when they first came out the others are final approach i believe.. my mom bought them for me 7 yrs ago when i was 15 and all i've ever used so i guess i could put them up as a decoration or something but i really dont know which ones are good quality. i can tell wich ones look the most realistic but every maker advertises there better than the next so any info would be helpful on mallard and teal decoys...gonna try the early teal this year in the lower part of the state

IMO the way these manufactures are making decoys these days, they all are fairly close to each other in quality. I think the big differences come in when they paint goes on em. IMO GHG has it in that department. The paint they use on their teal and other decoys is by far much better in my opinion. However, I hear a lot about their paint coming off real easy. BOTTOM LINE....get what you can afford and build from there. Not many people have the money to get absolutely everything they want in one season, it takes years.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting