1/12 am

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

1/12 am

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:49 pm

Hunted at jacks creek this morning and the for was really bad. We ended up killing 1 drake greenwing and 1 hen mallard.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:36 pm

Least you got two, glad I love being outdoors and just taking it all in b/c I would have quit by now :toofunny:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

1/16

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Hunted Jacks Creek by myself this morning and only got 1 greenwing drake. Didn't see many birds. Not enough wind, very tough hunting.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Man, It's bad everywhere!!

I'm hunting the ACE Basin. One of the refuges is full of birds, but they don't venture far from it.

I see alot of boats set up in the river, surrounding the refuges.

If a duck even THINKS about coming across the river, it's going to get shot at.

Even the public places we used to go to in Arkansas, are bad now.

I'm resigned to the fact that, if you want to have a quality hunt, your going to have to pay for it. But I'll NEVER pay to hunt released birds.

I'll hang up my calls, and guns, before I resort to that....
santeerangerman
hunter

here

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:11 pm

We hunt next to the Santee National Wildlife Refuge and we can hear the mallards on it every day. But they do not come off much. We see alot of ringnecks and teal but they fly really high and go to some of the ponds in the area. We have killed less birds this year than we have in the 7 years that I have been hunting. It is almost not worth the time and effort that it takes to hunt ducks anymore. If I didn't just love to be outdoors I don't think that I would do it.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:33 pm

I have to say this is the worst season I have ever seen in my life.

I've been hunting ducks here since I was old enough to tote a .410 single barrel.

I also think that alot of the ducks we used to get, are benig killed up north,
before they ever get a chance to get here.

Alot of what I see happening here has coinsided with the longer seasons,
and larger bag limits.

I know alot of people blame the disapearance of the Hydrilla on the lakes,
with the ducks being gone. But, the Hydrilla was only in the lakes a short time, when you think about it. 12-15 years.

We had a ton of ducks here before the hydrilla, and there's still ALOT in the Cooper river. I don't even see the coots on the Cooper anymore.

I think the ducks are gone, and are never coming back.

The only duck hunting left here, to amount to anything, is on the plantations, by the wealthy owners........

Sorry for the rant, and long post, but it just kills me to see what's happening here to a state that used to have a rich tradition of duck hunting.
santeerangerman
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting