how 2 draw duck & geese into my pond and keep them coming

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

how 2 draw duck & geese into my pond and keep them coming

Postby sirbudd2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 am

I have a 185 acres of land with a 5 acre pond on it. I have seen a lot of geese use the pond and seen a few ducks from time to time. What can i do to drawl these birds in and keep them coming back. The pond can't be drained and planted either.
sirbudd2
hunter

Re: how 2 draw duck & geese into my pond and keep them coming

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:10 pm

sirbudd2 wrote:I have a 185 acres of land with a 5 acre pond on it. I have seen a lot of geese use the pond and seen a few ducks from time to time. What can i do to drawl these birds in and keep them coming back. The pond can't be drained and planted either.

That would be what I would suggest. Plant it. You can plant stuff that you don't have to drain the water. We used to broadcast seed on the banks and run through the edge with a 4wheeler to stir it up and it would grow fine.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby sirbudd2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm

What did you plant?
sirbudd2
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

I plant Jap millet personally. It does real good with wet feet and can be done just like greenhead said. I have tried things like popcorn when the water was down but the acidity was too high for it. Millet does great in most soils. i have even had good luck with proso and browntop in the edge of my beaver pond.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby sirbudd2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks!
sirbudd2
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:16 pm

C-Hawk19 wrote:I plant Jap millet personally. It does real good with wet feet and can be done just like greenhead said. I have tried things like popcorn when the water was down but the acidity was too high for it. Millet does great in most soils. i have even had good luck with proso and browntop in the edge of my beaver pond.

Where did you get the millet from?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:26 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:
C-Hawk19 wrote:I plant Jap millet personally. It does real good with wet feet and can be done just like greenhead said. I have tried things like popcorn when the water was down but the acidity was too high for it. Millet does great in most soils. i have even had good luck with proso and browntop in the edge of my beaver pond.

I get it from all over. I sell bags to feed mills and seed cleaners for a living. but in state the only place off the top of my head that carries jap millet is wannamaker in st. Matthews. browntop can be found at almost all feed and seed stores. Proso is a little harder to find than browntop but easier to find than jap millet. But if you are planting it in the water Jap is the way to go. It is much easier to grow than corn or rice. it can take a wide variety of soil acidity and nutrient levels and the birds love it.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:56 pm

C-Hawk19 wrote:
carolinagreenhead wrote:

I get it from all over. I sell bags to feed mills and seed cleaners for a living. but in state the only place off the top of my head that carries jap millet is wannamaker in st. Matthews. browntop can be found at almost all feed and seed stores. Proso is a little harder to find than browntop but easier to find than jap millet. But if you are planting it in the water Jap is the way to go. It is much easier to grow than corn or rice. it can take a wide variety of soil acidity and nutrient levels and the birds love it.

Would I be able to get a bag or two from you when you buy? What is the costs of it?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby sirbudd2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 am

When do I need to plant it?
sirbudd2
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:47 am

I don't remember the price I think $45 or so per bag and I could probably pick some up for ya. as for when to plant Jap millet is a 45 day maturity so you can plant fairly late. I will try to plant soon myself as my water level is controlled by a beaver and it is down now. :biggrin:
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby sirbudd2 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for all the help!!
sirbudd2
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Glad my limited knowledge can help some. I should have explained the 45 day maturity. it needs to be fully mature before the first frost.
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 pm

C-Hawk19 wrote:Glad my limited knowledge can help some. I should have explained the 45 day maturity. it needs to be fully mature before the first frost.

So right before deer season or there abouts?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:
C-Hawk19 wrote:Glad my limited knowledge can help some. I should have explained the 45 day maturity. it needs to be fully mature before the first frost.

So right before deer season or there abouts?

Yes if you are refering to bowseason. it should still be warm enough to plant then.
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby grey duck » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:57 am

Try shelled corn. Sometime around the first of Nov. pour some in the head of the pond. I have heard of some people having great succsess with this method.
grey duck
hunter

Postby sirbudd2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Can the japanese millet be planted in 1 foot of water or does it have to be out of the water on the bank?
sirbudd2
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:08 pm

It will grow like rice underwater, but it is somewhat hard to establish in areas underwater. i do like rice and get the seed sprouted and put it out in the areas underwater.
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby sirbudd2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Okay thanks!
sirbudd2
hunter

Postby SCH2OFOWLER » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:50 pm

carolinagreenhead the local feed/seed store keeps it in stock this time of year in Greewnood (Greenwood Coop. Mkt.). As for when to plant I like to get it in the ground the last two weeks of July to the middle of August. September is too late because of frost issues. Also it needs to germinate before water gets on it for it to grow well from my experience.
SCH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:35 am

SCH2OFOWLER wrote:carolinagreenhead the local feed/seed store keeps it in stock this time of year in Greewnood (Greenwood Coop. Mkt.). As for when to plant I like to get it in the ground the last two weeks of July to the middle of August. September is too late because of frost issues. Also it needs to germinate before water gets on it for it to grow well from my experience.

Thanks. Where is it at in Greenwood?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby SCH2OFOWLER » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:48 am

Its on Reynolds Street. If you come in from Lake Greenwood on Hwy. 72 stay straight through redlight at CVS/Bojangles and it will be down on the right about 1/4 mile.

I might have some left after this weekend. Get back with me first of next week.
SCH2OFOWLER
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:19 pm

SCH2OFOWLER wrote:Its on Reynolds Street. If you come in from Lake Greenwood on Hwy. 72 stay straight through redlight at CVS/Bojangles and it will be down on the right about 1/4 mile.

I might have some left after this weekend. Get back with me first of next week.

Will do
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:23 pm

got some millet ordered coming in on Thursday. around $33 to $35 a bag out the door.
only got 2 bags should be plenty though gonna throw on the banks and in the duck pond where the corn didnt grow to well
klee7013
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:42 pm

klee7013 wrote:got some millet ordered coming in on Thursday. around $33 to $35 a bag out the door.
only got 2 bags should be plenty though gonna throw on the banks and in the duck pond where the corn didnt grow to well

Let me know how it does this season.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting