Big hunter new town. Dalzell SC

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Big hunter new town. Dalzell SC

Postby Countryboy1601 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Hey everyone, just moved from NC to SC. I live in Dalzell and i was wondering, are there any drawing hunts in SC? Any good places to take a look at by boat or walk-in? Also, i have two labs, both fox reds, and i'm looking for some good training areas. Heard a lot of bad things about the gators so if you have any info let me know. Thanks
Countryboy1601
hunter

Re: Big hunter new town. Dalzell SC

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 pm

First, :welcome: Where is Dalzell? If it's in the low country then yes, gators are a bad issue for your dogs.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Gators can be an issue anywhere below Columbia (and maybe above). You are not far from the Hickory Top Greentree Resevoir and management area around it. You can also work dogs at SC State Parks in certain areas, Poinsett is close to you and Sandhills actually has a field trial area. :welcome:
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Oh yeah, SC draw hunts are a lot different from NC- you can only be drawn once ( if you are lucky) and all members of your hunting party must apply together on one form. Fee is $50 per man that must be paid at time of application, but they will send your money back when you are not drawn- We typically get drawn every 2-3 years because they give you preference points when you do not get drawn the first or second year.

There are a few management areas near you that are open Saturdays - Hickory Top and Potato Creek- but you need to be willing to walk a ways at Hickory top or be first in line at Potato Creek.
:hammer:
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby Countryboy1601 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:55 pm

I appreciate the welcomes, I have hunted a couple times outside of hickory top on the upper lake. Does anyone know of any good public places Monday thru Friday? The hunt on the lake was good, shot 9 bluebills between 3 days with a friend that had a boat. Caught a couple bufflehead slipping through. Haven't tried any other places. If anyone needs a hunting party for any of the rest of the season let me know. I got 3 doz diver deeks, a couple jerk rigs, some mallards and woodies (although i know everyone has them) and two dogs. I'm also willing to help pay for gas if needed. I've been looking for a DU chapter or a group of SCWA guys around here. Let me know if you can help me out. Once again I appreciate everything thus far. My cell number is 8038477103, just shoot me a text. The names Austin
Countryboy1601
hunter

Postby Countryboy1601 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Forgot to mention the waders and motion deeks. A couple Mojo's, but they're still in NC, and a tornado duck.
Countryboy1601
hunter

Postby Spottail » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:38 pm

1. SCWA is a joke.

2. Do everyone around you a favor and leave all that flapping gadgetry in NC. It spooks the ever-loving crap out of wild puddle ducks.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting