new young hunter

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

new young hunter

Postby doghuntingman878 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:15 pm

hello yall i am 17 and wanting to get into duck hunting i got a winchester 1200 pump mod choke what esle i need for duck hunting and where can i hunt at i live in sunset sc
doghuntingman878
hunter

Re: new young hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Welcome to the addiction...You can never have too much "stuff"....Dekes, a dog, boat, blind, shells, Permits, Scouted areas, lights, shells, chokes, guns, waders, jackets, bibs, boots.....the list is endless....Start off with a Set of good waders and a good jackets and hat....Gun dekes and shells....Go scout and look for where the ducks want to be not where you wnat to and THINK they want to be... Join DU or local group that has like minded hunters....Be respectful of other hunters and shoot only what you can hit and retrieve...Learn to be the best hunter you can be and you will get many great years of waterfowling...Dont go out and drink beer and raise a ruckus and be a moron in the marsh and you will soon find others that will let you tag along...LEARN ALL that you can...Thats all it takes... :welcome:
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby doghuntingman878 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:05 am

is there any lakes i cant not hunt and what kinda of shells would be good for my shotgun and what kinda of calls i know i am asking alot of stuff but i am new i am a coon hunter trying to get in to duck hunting
doghuntingman878
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:59 pm

First :welcome: the last post was good information. Lakes and water is everywhere. Get yourself a GMA map from the DNR website. Link to it is at the top of this forum. That will help you find water and let you know where you can hunt. Next, get on the water and burn some gas. As for calls, get something you can afford first. Go to Academy or Walmart and get a cheap call to practice with and figure out if your gonna like it before you drop some serious coin into better calls. Check the classifieds on this forum. Calls, decoys, and everything you could ever want is there. Good luck!
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby doghuntingman878 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:01 am

thank yall for ur help i found a place not to far from where i live to hunt but i dont know if you can wade but if i see a local game warren i will ask thank
doghuntingman878
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:22 pm

:welcome: Young hunter, hope you get half the enjoyment from duck hunting that I have over the years. You have to learn most things on your own, just like real life, but if you want to find access and friends, volunteer for a local Waterfowl organization chapter, Delta, SCWA, Flyway Foundation, or even DU. Work hard and you will meet local hunters and learn more than any posting will ever teach you. Leave the call at home for a couple of years until learn what it is and how it works,.Good luck and above all, hunt safe.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby possum88 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:34 pm

i live in pickens. if you want you can tag along with me some time. got a pretty good spot about 5 min from sunset. just let me know if you interrested
possum88
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting