Want to start duck hunting. help please

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Want to start duck hunting. help please

Postby wkt843 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 pm

I would like to start waterfowl hunting and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of where to start. i live in the charleston area. thanks in advance
wkt843
Newb

Re: Want to start duck hunting. help please

Postby TomKat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:29 am

Go join your local Ducks Unlimited chapter and work on the committe. Those fellas will steer you right.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 am

Maybe if you give us certain questions you have it would help. What you said leaves it too broad. Narrow it down to specific questions and we can help.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:Maybe if you give us certain questions you have it would help. What you said leaves it too broad. Narrow it down to specific questions and we can help.

Unless you are trying to cyberscout. You will get nowhere with that around here. But like Greenhead said ask away and we will try to help.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby wkt843 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:53 pm

what gear should i get to start?

where can i hunt?
wkt843
Newb

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:41 pm

shotgun, decoys, boat to start. There's plenty of public water around you just have to burn some gas and scout.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:49 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:shotgun, decoys, boat to start. There's plenty of public water around you just have to burn some gas and scout.

Agreed I would add a few calls also. :thumbsup:
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 am

I would not add calls until you know how to use them. nobody buys a trumpet and walks up on stage to play. They take lessons.

Duck calls are the best way to scare ducks away if you do not know what you are doing.

Join your local Delta or SCWA committee, read their magazines, buy some books and do some scouting (not during the morning during duck season). Then pick out a couple of places you want to try and go for it.

Good luck
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:53 am

bigsprig wrote:I would not add calls until you know how to use them. nobody buys a trumpet and walks up on stage to play. They take lessons.

Duck calls are the best way to scare ducks away if you do not know what you are doing.

Join your local Delta or SCWA committee, read their magazines, buy some books and do some scouting (not during the morning during duck season). Then pick out a couple of places you want to try and go for it.

Good luck

There is still enough time before season for him to learn to blow a call with enough practice.
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:08 pm

If you have a boat...Leave the landing before sunrise..you hunted ducks before so you know what they look like in the air...Get into an open area where u can see a ways in all directions and when they fly make ur way towards them...when u find em look at what they are near..OAK tree drooping acrons over river in the bend??? food source..Where did the fly from..where did they land??? All that can be done is scout we arent your next door neighbor and wont give our spots away...It takes time and practice..Ill give the guy who rides 4 scouting trips with me at 5AM more info than the guy who wants to hunt with me 3xs a week...The scouter put his time in...Thats all IT takes...Go out and look..research the rivers and previous duck kills in ur area....Learn the nearby plantations(ur in SC, theres always a plantation) in ur area...I wont ever show you my honey hole..You show up for a late OCT scouting trip and then a few more after that with snacks and beer...Guess what you earned the spot in my boat to hunt those areas with me....Its common sense put ur time in and itll work out..
Best of luck stay safe and if ur in the Beaufort area PM me..
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby btduckcall » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:16 pm

bigsprig wrote:I would not add calls until you know how to use them. nobody buys a trumpet and walks up on stage to play. They take lessons.

Good luck

scwa lmao amd that should be lmmfao :huh: , delta should never be put in the same sentence with them.
btduckcall
hunter

Postby caj93 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Woodiewacker wrote:If you have a boat...Leave the landing before sunrise..you hunted ducks before so you know what they look like in the air...Get into an open area where u can see a ways in all directions and when they fly make ur way towards them...when u find em look at what they are near..OAK tree drooping acrons over river in the bend??? food source..Where did the fly from..where did they land??? All that can be done is scout we arent your next door neighbor and wont give our spots away...It takes time and practice..Ill give the guy who rides 4 scouting trips with me at 5AM more info than the guy who wants to hunt with me 3xs a week...The scouter put his time in...Thats all IT takes...Go out and look..research the rivers and previous duck kills in ur area....Learn the nearby plantations(ur in SC, theres always a plantation) in ur area...I wont ever show you my honey hole..You show up for a late OCT scouting trip and then a few more after that with snacks and beer...Guess what you earned the spot in my boat to hunt those areas with me....Its common sense put ur time in and itll work out..
Best of luck stay safe and if ur in the Beaufort area PM me..

i agree 100%. this answered almost every beginning question all at one time. and it shouldnt be too hard to find an open area like woodiewhacker said because charleston is surrounded by water. I'm as well in the beaufort area
When the red river flows, take the dirt road home
caj93
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting