duck boat blinds

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

duck boat blinds

Postby Sc Duck Commander » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:24 am

I just got a new 10 foot fishmaster jon boat. Its 10 foot by 36 inches. Do yall guys think a 10 foot jon boat is too small to build a pvc duck blind on ? :help:
2012/2013 Season
Canada Geese : 6
GWT:
BWT:
Woodies:
Hoodies:
Ringnecks:
Mallards:
Sc Duck Commander
hunter

Re: duck boat blinds

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:57 am

My short answer to this is no. If it floats you can build a blind on it. HOWEVER, the big questions are:

Do you plan on standing up to shoot?
How much weight do you plan on loading this boat up with?
What kind of water do you plan on hunting?

If you stand up to shoot then chances are you are gonna swim with a boat that small. It's not a real stable boat being that small and narrow. Add in the weight of yourself, dog, decoys, another person maybe, it will start to act more like a canoe. Combine all of that and put it on a big lake like hartwell, Russell or Clark hill and your screwed bad, especially if a storm comes up. I had a 1232 last year. Built a blind for it and had 3 or 4 dz decoys. That made it fill up fast. I had no room for my feet or nothing. My point is, is it doable..yes but you constantly have to be mindful of what your doing, what you have and where you are. On the other hand if that is all you have then you have to make do with what ya got.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am

Just built a decent lightweight blind for my 1242 jon boat this season...It PVC tubing camo burlap, and mitary sytle camo netting..weights in at 10lbs and folds down to fit into the hatch we made in the bow of the boat..Its a bit of a pain having to put it up and take it down...better than no blind at all..Its built so that I can shoot sitting down...Good luck!!
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby Sc Duck Commander » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

I have had 2 people (400 lbs) in it before with a trolling motor and battery and it was good in the water. the pvc blind i built for it is a fixed blind not folding. i will be only hunting in small marsh ponds and creek. i will have me (225 lbs), 3 dozen dekes, battery,trolling motor. Where i plan to hunt at out of the boat i took 2 five foot stick of 2 inch conduit and drove them in the water to the ground and i will pull up to them and tie the boat off that should have with stability. and yes its the only thing i have rite now i will post pics of it and all can tell my what yall think of it.

2012/2013 Season
Canada Geese : 6
GWT:
BWT:
Woodies:
Hoodies:
Ringnecks:
Mallards:
Sc Duck Commander
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting