No flooding of Hickory Top WMA due to drought

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

No flooding of Hickory Top WMA due to drought

Postby bigsprig » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:19 pm

From SCDNR, No flooding of Hickory Top (Greentree Reservoir) WMA due to drought

As a consequence of the low lake levels in the Santee Cooper system, water is not available to pump and flood Hickory Top (Greentree Reservoir or GTR) Waterfowl Management Areas.

The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR), as a management requirement of the GTR, is not required to flood the area more than three consecutive years following a least one dry year. Since a dry year occurred in 2008, DNR had plans to have a dry year 2012-13. DNR staff now plans to take advantage of the current lake conditions and make this a dry year. Considerations are being made to help prevent this scenario in the future.

The combination of limited rainfall events and drought like conditions has adversely impacted lake levels in the Lowcountry. In a recently published article, Hope Mizzell, state climatologist, states, "The Midlands and the Upstate had the driest July to September stretch since records were kept in 1948 and the year so far is the third-driest ever." As of September 27, 2011, Lake Marion was down 4.60 feet from full pool while reports indicate that Lake Moultrie is down more than 5 feet. These lake levels have not been observed since the early 1950s.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Re: No flooding of Hickory Top WMA due to drought

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:37 am

That's gonna suck!
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Something wrong with the quote from DNR- they said:

"As of September 27, 2011, Lake Marion was down 4.60 feet from full pool while reports indicate that Lake Moultrie is down more than 5 feet. These lake levels have not been observed since the early 1950s."

In 2008, I rode my 4 wheeler from Sparkleberry almost to Packs, you could walk from Ferguson landing across to the old lumber kiln in flip flops and not get wet, and there were mud flats visible from the I-95 bridge.

Rode across I-95 the other day and there was no mud visible, so something ain't right with her statement.

But, two of the ramps at Jacks Creek marina are closed off due to low water, so not going to be a fun opening day at the lake.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby yarborough29102 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:54 pm

i remember lake marion being a whole lot worse and still hunting green tree
yarborough29102
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting