Hunting around Columbia,S.Carolina

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Hunting around Columbia,S.Carolina

Postby ez2beme00 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:15 pm

My son in law just got orders to report to Ft. Jackson S.C. for a 2 year commitment. Anyone on here know the area, and what the hunting opportunities are for waterfowl and upland?
ez2beme00
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:15 pm

i live in Sumter (30 minutes east of ft. jackson). there are tons of hunting and fishing opportunities in this area for deer, hogs, doves, turkey, etc. unfortunately, the waterfowl & quail populations are very scarce. you can kill both here but you'll have more bad days than good. especially with the quail. i only know of one public place to hunt quail at all and you have to stand in line to work your dog in a field. unless you can get hooked up with a club (private land) that doesn't mind you stocking/raising birds, you won't have much luck with upland game. the good news is that you can drive in several different directions and find decent enough shooting for each within a couple of hours. hth, and pm me if you want any in-depth information. (note: ft jackson has a huge wildlife management program for hunting. i think it's like 10,000 acres. i used to hunt it coming up but haven't been over there in 10 years or more. they have some great big game/turkey opportunities).
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting