Pee Dee river

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Re: Pee Dee river

Postby Spottail » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Asking for advice on hunting a public area is pretty common rookie practice. I wasn't calling you a rookie, but if the shoe fits... Using the "help keep the sport alive by telling others where to kill ducks" pitch is a weak attempt at trying to get some info. If I wanted to hunt the Pee Dee, I would be down there now, before the season, looking for some ducks. If you can't do that because of school or work, then tough. The folks that can, will likely kill a few ducks. Good public hunters are a quiet breed. If you want to learn a new area, take time to learn it. Don't do it during the season, do it during the fall. Keep in mind where you are seeing large concentrations of woodies and teal. Other puddle ducks will use those same areas (if they aren't disturbed) in the winter. One of the most detrimental things to public hunting is people riding around during the season looking for new places to hunt. Know your area before the season, go strait there to scout and strait out. Hundreds of boats constantly prodding suitable habitat is the reason why no one will ever get the chance to hunt the thousands of ducks that use public water. They can't take the disturbance.
teal and tailing reds make life worth living
Spottail
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 pm

As far as public water, yes anyone can go there but this by NO stretch, means you can't can't find places on the pee dee no one else knows about, trust me I have plenty through hard work and scouting. No particular ramp or section of the river is better than others. As you get closer to the coast I would say it gets better however. GOOGLE EARTH is your best friend on a river. Go down the river and mark any creeks that branch off and maybe open up into ponds, those are your best spots, just remember you can not get out of your.boat at any time in order to access a spot. As long as you can run your boat, you are good. Just mark as many of these type places as you can and then check them out. Best advice I ca :thumbsup: n give you.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby SChunter75 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:13 am

thank you callumcuffumkillum thats all I was asking for was a simple answer I figured it got better towards the coast but I was seeing if anyone was nice enough to help me. thank you
SChunter75
hunter

Pee Dee river

Postby Duckcommander727 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:23 am

Check yo pm's.
Nick Roehl wrote:Anymore of it on the open forum will result in a 2 week time out. You know the type you give to children when they won't listen.
Duckcommander727
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 am

no problem
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Red75 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:01 pm

I've done alot of hunting on the Pee Dee and I would have to say that the best places are around the Petersville and Ports Hill areas. Good luck. There wasn't really enough water during the first season this year to really bring in many ducks, but hopefully that will change for the late season.
Red75
Newb

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Very true, the Pee Dee is very low, dangerous for people who know the river, i wouldnt suggest goin out there without someone who knows it. The pee dee is a very dangerous river covered in stumps and sandbars, if you do head out there take it sloww, i know more than a couple people who could have saved there boat by listening to this advice
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby SChunter75 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:41 pm

thank yall for the help. hopefully I can give it a try some time
SChunter75
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:59 pm

What part of Pee Dee are you thinking about, we might can meet up
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby POOR_MAN_IN_RICH_MANS_SPORT » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 am

THE ONLY LANDINGS I HAVE USED ARE HWY 52 IN SOCIETY HILL AND HWY 34 NEAR DARLINGTON. MAINLY JUST WOODIES, SOME TEAL. I'M SURE YOU COULD BE JUST AS PRODUCTIVE CLOSER TO HOME.
POOR_MAN_IN_RICH_MANS_SPORT
hunter

Previous

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting