Shooting ducks on the water..

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby scdc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 am

I have never and will never shoot a duck on the water, but is it actually illegal in SC to do this? I was raised to never shoot a dove on a powerpole, ducks on the water etc. but now I wonder if it is actually illegal. I looked around on DNR but couldn't find anything.
scdc
hunter
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm


Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:12 am

As far as I know it is nit illegal in any state. I know it's not in any states I hunt. And I will kill em on the water if they make it that far. Less chance for
A cripple, and a guaranteed bird in hand.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby bigsprig » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Not illegal anywhere that I know of either. Nor extremely sporting, but neither is baiting deer and then shooting them with an apple in their mouth.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
User avatar
bigsprig
hunter
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Griffin4590 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Smackaduck wrote:As far as I know it is nit illegal in any state. I know it's not in any states I hunt. And I will kill em on the water if they make it that far. Less chance for
A cripple, and a guaranteed bird in hand.

very very wrong. water swatting results in way more cripples due to over half the birds vitals being under water. Its not illegal anywhere and as bigsprig said its not sporting either. to each their own tho.
User avatar
Griffin4590
hunter
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Anchorage AK & Charleston SC

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby grey duck » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:16 pm

A bird in the hand is better than three in the bush.
grey duck
hunter
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Let'em set » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:51 am

It is legal to shoot them off the water. I don't do it all the time but I have been known to do a little Yard Raken from time to time
Let'em set
hunter
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Central NC

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby CSS » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 pm

What makes shooting a duck that you decoy off the water not "sporting" I'll take them flying or swimming cause this ol boy and his family's got to eat '
CSS
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby scdc » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:44 am

Because a 2 year old could do it.. It makes it no fun, why not shoot it when it is flying and actually challenging to do? I've just been raised on those kind of hunting ethics but I guess people around here really haven't been raised on the same kind of ethics. Saying your family has to eat... you can't honestly tell me that you rely on eating game meat 12 months out of the year. And if you can't shoot a duck flying and have to wait until they land, then your family honestly might starve.
scdc
hunter
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:07 pm

I will for one will shoot em off the water every time if they make it in that far without me seeing them. Lets set a scenario, one hunter has decoys out and calling then shoots the birds circling around and checking out the decoys and kills his limit, another hunter has his dekes out and calling in birds, hes good enough to make them come all the way in and light on the water in his spread without detecting the hunters presence. Which hunter is a better DUCK hunter, of course the guy with the skills to make them fully commit and land. Sure anybody can shoot a duck off the water and anybody with shooting experience can shoot them out the air, however only a very good duck hunter can make them come all the way in. Its called duck hunting not duck shooting, its not about who is a better wing shot, thats for the dove field and thats why its called a dove shoot. Duck hunting is about being able to manipulate ducks to do what you want to do. In my opinion it takes a better duck hunter to get the chance to shoot a greenhead off the water rather than the air. Anybody can get one to come in range, but not everybody can make them to come all the way down. Not saying i try to shoot ducks off the water, i call the shot right before they hit the water, but if one sneaks in then i see no reason why anybody wouldnt water blast em. Its about calling ducks not shooting them, dead duck is a dead duck
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Griffin4590 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 pm

CSS wrote:What makes shooting a duck that you decoy off the water not "sporting" I'll take them flying or swimming cause this ol boy and his family's got to eat '

If anyone wants to shoot ducks off the water that is their choice and i dont judge them for it. However saying you do it cause you family needs to eat is a lame excuse. If you total up the cost of shells, gas, licenses, stamps, calls, decoys, ect then it is WAY cheaper to buy meat.
scdc wrote:Because a 2 year old could do it.. It makes it no fun, why not shoot it when it is flying and actually challenging to do? I've just been raised on those kind of hunting ethics but I guess people around here really haven't been raised on the same kind of ethics.

good post, you are 100 correct and this is the reason there are some many retards on the water these days. if i had ever shot a duck on the water when I was i kid i woulda got my butt kicked. These days guys just wanna kill as many ducks as they can and dont care how its done.
callumcuffumkillum wrote:I will for one will shoot em off the water every time if they make it in that far without me seeing them. Lets set a scenario, one hunter has decoys out and calling then shoots the birds circling around and checking out the decoys and kills his limit, another hunter has his dekes out and calling in birds, hes good enough to make them come all the way in and light on the water in his spread without detecting the hunters presence. Which hunter is a better DUCK hunter, of course the guy with the skills to make them fully commit and land. Sure anybody can shoot a duck off the water and anybody with shooting experience can shoot them out the air, however only a very good duck hunter can make them come all the way in. Its called duck hunting not duck shooting, its not about who is a better wing shot, thats for the dove field and thats why its called a dove shoot. Duck hunting is about being able to manipulate ducks to do what you want to do. In my opinion it takes a better duck hunter to get the chance to shoot a greenhead off the water rather than the air. Anybody can get one to come in range, but not everybody can make them to come all the way down. Not saying i try to shoot ducks off the water, i call the shot right before they hit the water, but if one sneaks in then i see no reason why anybody wouldnt water blast em. Its about calling ducks not shooting them, dead duck is a dead duck

so when you FAIL to notice a duck before it lands in your decoys and then you water blast it you're now a better hunter the the guy that notices it, calls them in and shoots them out of the air. You say your self you call the shot before they land if you notice them and call them in but if one sneeks in you water bust it.

With that said I am 100% fine with you shooting ducks on the water. Its fully legal and it is well within every hunters rights to do so. But if you choose to do so dont make up BS excuses for why. just flat out say "i water shoot ducks" It seems like everyone has a reason for doing it because they feel its wrong and need to justify it, when in reality there isn't anything wrong with it if thats how you enjoy hunting.
User avatar
Griffin4590
hunter
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Anchorage AK & Charleston SC

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Santeeteck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Well said Griffin..
User avatar
Santeeteck
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Summerville, SC

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby CSS » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:21 am

scdc wrote:Because a 2 year old could do it.. It makes it no fun, why not shoot it when it is flying and actually challenging to do? I've just been raised on those kind of hunting ethics but I guess people around here really haven't been raised on the same kind of ethics. Saying your family has to eat... you can't honestly tell me that you rely on eating game meat 12 months out of the year. And if you can't shoot a duck flying and have to wait until they land, then your family honestly might starve.

Honestly I can say that we eat game meat twelve months ut of the year and I never said I had to wait il they land
CSS
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:43 pm

sorry bout that post, my roommate loves to play with my crap, wasnt me :fingerpt: . But i have no problem shooting ducks on the water if they get there, not that i intentionally let ducks land, but wood ducks can be sneaky at first light haha. To every man his own, there is no right answer. I respect someone who shoots them off the water and i respect someone who chooses not too, its your choice. Nothing to get mad about :grooving:
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby dodman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:40 am

Personally, and I understand this thread is all about personal choice, but personally I think if you shoot a duck off the water you are a moron.

Need meat? Ya gotta be kiddin I hope.

A better hunter cause they came all the way in and landed? Kiddin me. That argument easily extends to you're a better "hunter" if you pull them all the way in and can knock them out of the air while they're over the dekes.

This is a sport, not a necessity by any means. Nuthin sportin about shooting a critter sitting there on the water. I'd hope people would have some restraint, rather then some immature kind of bragging right or something that a duck in the boat might provide.

But again, I understand this is all about personal choice...
User avatar
dodman
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:26 pm
Location: SW Va

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby CSS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 am

You know from what ive gathered sounds like half of yall will just shoot a duck to keep it on your little tally and once your done you just chunk them in the woods and say the heck with theres more were that came from
CSS
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby CSS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 am

Personally
CSS
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby scdc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:48 am

CSS wrote:You know from what ive gathered sounds like half of yall will just shoot a duck to keep it on your little tally and once your done you just chunk them in the woods and say the heck with theres more were that came from

Perfectly said
scdc
hunter
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm

throwing ducks away is on a whole other level than shooting one off the water but im sure there are plenty of hunters that do it, this morning i went to one of my best holes for the first time this season, it is on private land and NO one else is allowed to hunt it. An hour after legal we had seen 2 woodies and a goose, couldnt figure out what the hell was going on till i found a mound of empty shells and then old corn rotting on the bank, goes to show some people just have no respect these days. But im pretty sure i know who it is and i hope the get #%*%#*. Already talked to the game warden :hammer:
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby CSS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:00 pm

callumcuffumkillum wrote:throwing ducks away is on a whole other level than shooting one off the water but im sure there are plenty of hunters that do it, this morning i went to one of my best holes for the first time this season, it is on private land and NO one else is allowed to hunt it. An hour after legal we had seen 2 woodies and a goose, couldnt figure out what the hell was going on till i found a mound of empty shells and then old corn rotting on the bank, goes to show some people just have no respect these days. But im pretty sure i know who it is and i hope the get #%*%#*. Already talked to the game warden :hammer:

Yea thats pretty crappy theres no reason for that nonsense
CSS
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Griffin4590 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:56 pm

CSS wrote:You know from what ive gathered sounds like half of yall will just shoot a duck to keep it on your little tally and once your done you just chunk them in the woods and say the heck with theres more were that came from

Yea if i ever caught someone doing that i'd hold them there till the LEO's got there. I dont play those games. I'd just rather shoot my ducks flying or not at all. If I can't hit them flying then i'll eat steak not duck for dinner and wont lose any sleep over it.
User avatar
Griffin4590
hunter
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Anchorage AK & Charleston SC

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Briar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Where I'm from if you killing birds on the water that just means you done your homework! Why shoot passing ducks when you can get them to decoy!
Briar
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby therountree » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 pm

scdc wrote:Because a 2 year old could do it.. It makes it no fun, why not shoot it when it is flying and actually challenging to do? I've just been raised on those kind of hunting ethics but I guess people around here really haven't been raised on the same kind of ethics. Saying your family has to eat... you can't honestly tell me that you rely on eating game meat 12 months out of the year. And if you can't shoot a duck flying and have to wait until they land, then your family honestly might starve.



Oh yah, I TOTALLY agree with your "kind of hunting ethics." I make sure that not only are my ducks flying but that I'm using throwing knives to insure its challenging, sporting, ethical and especially, that no 2 year old could do it. It does get expensive cause I really run through the knives so this year I'm thinking to move to a casting net (hoping I can call em in close enough to just give it a toss in the air when they come by!!) Oh and also, I'm sure you follow your same ethics deer hunting as well, just like myself, I always give a good holler when that big buck steps in the clearing. That way he gets a good running start! I'm still using a rifle for this, but don't worry I leave it tied to my pull rope still at the bottom of stand, just to make sure that the shot is gonna be good and sporting. Ain't no 2 year old gonna pull that one off!
therountree
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:22 am

Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby Gizzle86 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Nice
Gizzle86
hunter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:15 am

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby COOP3 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:39 pm

therountree wrote:
scdc wrote:Because a 2 year old could do it.. It makes it no fun, why not shoot it when it is flying and actually challenging to do? I've just been raised on those kind of hunting ethics but I guess people around here really haven't been raised on the same kind of ethics. Saying your family has to eat... you can't honestly tell me that you rely on eating game meat 12 months out of the year. And if you can't shoot a duck flying and have to wait until they land, then your family honestly might starve.



Oh yah, I TOTALLY agree with your "kind of hunting ethics." I make sure that not only are my ducks flying but that I'm using throwing knives to insure its challenging, sporting, ethical and especially, that no 2 year old could do it. It does get expensive cause I really run through the knives so this year I'm thinking to move to a casting net (hoping I can call em in close enough to just give it a toss in the air when they come by!!) Oh and also, I'm sure you follow your same ethics deer hunting as well, just like myself, I always give a good holler when that big buck steps in the clearing. That way he gets a good running start! I'm still using a rifle for this, but don't worry I leave it tied to my pull rope still at the bottom of stand, just to make sure that the shot is gonna be good and sporting. Ain't no 2 year old gonna pull that one off!



Hahahahaha :lol3:
Jackson Cooper
Big Lake Duck Calls Pro-Staff
User avatar
COOP3
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Shooting ducks on the water..

Postby JFord56 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 pm

When ducks happen to just "appear" in my spread - if they don't get up while I"m getting up to shoot then consider them swatted. They usually get up and fly - not always. I prefer them with their landing gear down but, it's part of duck hunting. No sin.
Normally always happens we you either are cooking or taking a leak! It happens - they eat good too. :yes:
JFord56
hunter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:00 pm


Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests