tell me about SC waterfowling

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

tell me about SC waterfowling

Postby Jake Steppe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 am

i might be moving down to SC not this summer but the following once im out of school for my girlfriend to finish school. i wanna know what the seasons are normally like down there, i know this has been a weird one. i looked at some of the results from public areas on the SCDNR page and it seems like theres a good number of GWT and hardly any geese...this is only the public land so i definately take that into consideration. ill hopefully be around Myrtle Beach/Conway. any info is definately helpful, just trying to put a line out to see what ill be getting into.
Jake Steppe
hunter

Re: tell me about SC waterfowling

Postby scflathead » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Reports from DNR are from the draw hunts. If you are lucky, you may get drawn every three or so years. A lot of hunters and very few ducks is generally the case.
scflathead
Newb

Postby duuck » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:03 pm

Im right near the myrtle beach area. This is how it is down here, most of the MB conway people come down here to santee and ruin the hunting for everyone else. There actually are a good number of ducks but there are more people hunting than there is room for. Its mainly the people that havent ever hunted before deciding that they want to try it and they put out 500 decoys 300 yrds away from them and sit there and shoot at whatever they see no matter how high or far away it is. It is decent up closer to conway. Mainly abunch of wood ducks. and not alot of public areas that are legal to hunt. but if you put time in it then youll do alright, for SC haha.. I got 2 pintails 15 or so bluebills 20 or so woodies 15 or so ringnecks bout 55 or so mallards and about 10 gadwall. and actually 3 canadian geese... geese arnt that common around here unless your on the golf course, those are the only three ive ever shot here. so dont expect geese
jehler wrote:Comparing flambeau to ghg is like comparing horseshit to cowshit
duuck
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 am

Here's how the hunting is in the upstate......go to myrtle beach. Really!!
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Jake Steppe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:56 pm

im probably going to be closer to conway, the old lady lives there and goes to coastal ( :help: ). i think for people who kill a lot of geese they like shooting ducks and vice versa, thats the case for me. how are private landowners down there about waterfowling? in maryland you have a spot based on if your friends or family or have a fat checkbook but here in pennsylvania you can knock on a door and people either tell you yes or no is that how it is down there? and what kinda hunting is it? ponds? creeks? use a boat? just trying to get a little idea what im getting myself into. its still a ways away though

i imagine you guys had a rough season down there this year, it was tough in Maryland for geese and divers just recently showed up from what i heard and i dont know if the snows will make it at all.
Jake Steppe
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Jake Steppe wrote:im probably going to be closer to conway, the old lady lives there and goes to coastal ( :help: ). i think for people who kill a lot of geese they like shooting ducks and vice versa, thats the case for me. how are private landowners down there about waterfowling? in maryland you have a spot based on if your friends or family or have a fat checkbook but here in pennsylvania you can knock on a door and people either tell you yes or no is that how it is down there? and what kinda hunting is it? ponds? creeks? use a boat? just trying to get a little idea what im getting myself into. its still a ways away though

i imagine you guys had a rough season down there this year, it was tough in Maryland for geese and divers just recently showed up from what i heard and i dont know if the snows will make it at all.

It's not like that here. Everything is club based. If you want to hunt private land you bout have to join a hunting club. That's what I do. Duck hunting is not that great anywhere here. The coast is where it's at for SC duck hunting. A boat is always good if you know where the ducks are or you can locate them.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 pm

If you are going for geese you could talk to some of the farmers down that way. Some might be glad for you to shoot some geese which are eating up there wheat. Shoot me a pm and I can point you towards a few farmers I know in that area who might let you hunt.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby Jake Steppe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 am

i really appreciate everyones response and offers i would love to take you up on it but like i said it wont be until the summer of 2013 before i move just seeing whats there (i got to graduate first!)
Jake Steppe
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Aight well when you get down here let me know I will see what I can do about some places for you to goose hunt as long as I can go and you do the calling. :biggrin:
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby TerpInSC » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:32 pm

It's great! September is the best month-just hop on a plane to Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta etc...
TerpInSC
Newb

Postby MARSHTACKI » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey Jake, I grew up in the Beaufort area but now reside in the upstate. I enjoy fine duck hunting in the upstate, but of course it requires knowledge of waterfowl to have success....
MARSHTACKI
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting