Habitat Improvement

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Habitat Improvement

Postby klee7013 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Plated 55 trees this fall/ winter-- finally see a couple with green leaves makes me feel a little bit better about all the effort we put in 53 oaks and 2 crabapple trees most 2-4 ft some were5' plus
planted 200 banana water lillies yestarday and today should know in a month or so if they come up
also planted some duck potato today.

so hopefully in a few years we will have alot of natural food we dont have to plant every year

all the ponds are full with water actually flooding over a couple roads but no big deal there

know if we can get the corn in and open up a few holes so we can plant barnyard grass and smartweed we will be good to go.

anybody else doing anything right now to make it better for future years?

will post pictures in a couple weeks when i get back out there.

o yeah little over week and i will be trying to chase turkeys down
klee7013
hunter

Re: Habitat Improvement

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:08 am

sounds like you know what your doing with the habitat, great job :thumbsup: . Ive got a couple beaver pond systems i can duck hunt, any suggestions on getting more ducks in there. I know ducks love smartweed, and stuff but dont know much about getting it in the ponds and or other plants
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:49 pm

callumcuffumkillum wrote:sounds like you know what your doing with the habitat, great job :thumbsup: . Ive got a couple beaver pond systems i can duck hunt, any suggestions on getting more ducks in there. I know ducks love smartweed, and stuff but dont know much about getting it in the ponds and or other plants

corn works good for attracting,

No what has been working good us the past few years is getting more and more woodies nesting every year and they come back in the fall. we get alot of drainage that comes through our property and we are trying to be able to hold more water by building small dikes just big enough to drive a four wheeler across and high enough to hold some water and installed pipes for drainage but the beaver clogged them up so we allowed for it to drain through but the beavers stopped that pretty quick
klee7013
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Been actually living on our farm/ small hunt club.

Corn is starting to come up and over half of the corn from last year got disced in because we didnt have the water and now there is a few geese about 20 woodies and a few mallards feeding in the dry duck pond eating corn. pretty neat to see wood ducks wobble around on dry land.

Heres some more pics

Some of the trees

Field all disced up got planted about 3 days later and rained about 2 days after planted
ill get some more pics as time goes on
klee7013
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Some more of the oak trees
before
after a few weeks its coming up good

put one of theses out got two more to put out in the so called "House Pond"

Hunting Club Lingo

We got the "house Pond" which is a couple acres which in some places is 10 ft+ we catch crappie, bream, largemouth, catfish trying to remove the catfish, more mouth(probably spelled it wrong), and shiners yes we catch shiners on hooks knocked them down a little bit one day a few years back we took caught 50 in one spot be throwing out fish food

Duck pond maybe two if that which is the impoundment

Wood Duck hole less than an acre

Then the other area we call swamp can be just a couple to 6 or 7 depending on rain
klee7013
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:16 pm

also to the above post about attracting ducks. we use to only have a couple pairs of woodies hang out. but since we started adding boxes the past few years. this year we got a good 20 or so hanging out with us this spring
klee7013
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Planted
90 Dwarf Chinkapin oaks in Feb
ordered 20 Burgambel oaks in feb
planted 10 in the ground put 10 in pots till this next fall
planted
2- white oaks
2- live oaks
5- pawpaw
2-deer pear
4-figs
3-peach trees
2 -anna apples
2 keifer pears
5 sawtooth oak
4 or 5 chickasaw plum
1 red oak
1 gobbler white
20+ leyland cypress to block off fields to give deer confidence to come out more during the day

O yeah and i am trying to grow some acorns in rootmaker containers this spring/summer
A sawtooth that was planted fall 2011
Now it is over 4 ft tall. planted around 18" or so i believe
Know i am missing some.

I will show some pics over 90% of all the trees have buds on them and over 70% have leafed out.

Planted around 300 trees this past fall and the one before.
Know we got a new road built and we will plant
klee7013
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting