what can i plant?

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

what can i plant?

Postby CUT'EM! » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:46 pm

late as hell on corn what can i plant around a duck pond of mine that my family recently purchased in lexington to bring them in? let me know something and what to do thanks
CUT'EM!
hunter

Re: what can i plant?

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:21 pm

I have never planted for ducks but I hear about a couple things that people plant like duck weed, Biologic has a seed for ducks although I have never heard of anyone using it. Sorry I'm not much help.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Japanese Millet is great for ducks and likes wet feet a lot. Also browntop or proso millet are good choices on planting. I plant Jap millet every year. It is super easy to grow and matures super fast 45 days is the typical amount of time for it. So I plant in August. If you plant too early it will drop its seed and start growing again instead of working to draw birds in for seed.

If you have any questions ask away and I will try to answer them as best as I can.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby CUT'EM! » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:37 pm

dude just what i needed to know .. now where do i plant this? banks or around the middle which in that case guess i need to find where to let the water out. so millet will grow at anytime? if i plant it early and it drops seeds and starts again how is that a bad thing?
CUT'EM!
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:14 pm

CUT'EM! wrote:dude just what i needed to know .. now where do i plant this? banks or around the middle which in that case guess i need to find where to let the water out. so millet will grow at anytime? if i plant it early and it drops seeds and starts again how is that a bad thing?

It grows in up to about 6" of water I think. If you can drain where you can plant that is better.The reason you don't want to go to seed and regrow is if that happens it won't have time to have mature seed for the ducks. They usually don't eat the millet plant but they eat the seed kinda like rice. Hope this is helpful.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:06 pm

The seed pods of bronwntop millet will not hold up well to water, Jap millet does better.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby CUT'EM! » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:17 pm

thanks man,,,, would it help if i mixed in both kinds if i can?
CUT'EM!
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:32 am

You can, I mix Jap Millet with WGF Grain Sorghum.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

CHUFA, CHUFA, and then some more CHUFA, can be expensive but big ducks will eat chufa before they will look at corn, flood it at 6 to 10 inches and puddle ducks LOVE it, flood it around 20 inches and divers will destroy it and the puddlers will still love it to. But its getting late so plant it quick if you choose so, its very easy to grow but a little pricey compared to millet but its still about the same as corn
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby CUT'EM! » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:03 pm

about how long does it take to mature? thats awesome news will my local feed store have it or is this something i willl need to get online or something like that. i deff. appreciate it. let me know something thanks ill do my research on this mirical duck remedy
CUT'EM!
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:49 pm

sorry it took so long for me to post back but it is recommended that it has 90 days before the first freeze. If you plant asap you should be fine. Ive done plenty of research on chufa and there are many reports that support chufa being preferred over corn and defiantly over millet. This year on my uncles 150 acre plantation on the coast they planted one 20 acre section in chufa and everything else in corn along with a a little millet. At this plantation we have killed 90 percent teal and few big ducks even though you can watch hundreds of big duck on the neighboring plantation because it doesn't get hunted but maybe once a year. This year hunting in the chufa field we shot 90 percent big ducks. You could sit in the watch tower over the property and watch all the big ducks file into the chufa after they flew over acres of corn. The big ducks didnt even look at the corn. We usually have about 4 groups hunting and everybody would fight for the chufa. In most case we wouldnt even start hunting at daylight we would just wait for the group in the chufa to get done and then move in behind them. The last couple weeks of the season we killed limits of bull pintails. It was simply amazing
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting