Attention Upstate Deer Hunters!

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Attention Upstate Deer Hunters!

Postby grey duck » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:18 am

The law making it illegal to bait for deer was beat in court by a hunter that was charged for baiting. DNR has now determined the law to be unenforceable. Two bills were introduced, one to amend the current law to make in enforceable again and another to make it legal to bait. Both laws were shot down by the General Assembly. (If your are not a believer ask your local DNR officer)Bottom line is you can bait this year, and I have corn for sale. PM me for details. Price is negoeable depending on the quantity
grey duck
hunter

Re: Attention Upstate Deer Hunters!

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Where did you see this information at?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm not saying you're right or wrong but you would be more creditable if you were not been selling corn.
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby grey duck » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 am

I have freinds in high places. Ask DNR. That's all i am saying.
grey duck
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 am

Yellow gold put it out and they will come.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:33 pm

grey duck wrote:I have freinds in high places. Ask DNR. That's all i am saying.

That's not much help. It doesn't say that here: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/whatsnew.pdf
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 pm

I honestly did not know that you guys could not bait deer in SC. That sucks because corn fed does eat really good. :yes: :yes:
But really you would think yalls DNR would want yall to kill the crap out of em. The population is so large here in NC we cant kill enough to even put a dent in them and I have treid. I rarely ever shoot a buck unless it is something nice but I will put the :hammer: :hammer: on some does. Mayb they will get yall squared away soon.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 pm

rivercountry wrote:I honestly did not know that you guys could not bait deer in SC. That sucks because corn fed does eat really good. :yes: :yes:
But really you would think yalls DNR would want yall to kill the crap out of em. The population is so large here in NC we cant kill enough to even put a dent in them and I have treid. I rarely ever shoot a buck unless it is something nice but I will put the :hammer: :hammer: on some does. Mayb they will get yall squared away soon.

They can bait in the lowstate just not the upstate. They also have different seasons down there.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby grey duck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 am

According to the attorney general, under current state law it is illegal to bait for deer – but not illegal to hunt deer over bait – in Game Zones 1 and 2.
The flurry of activity in both houses began at the urging of the South Carolina Wildlife Federation and the S.C. Camo Coalition, which saw the existing law on deer baiting unenforceable under the ruling by Attorney General Alan Wilson.
At issue is the wording of the law adopted by the legislature when it took regulatory authority for hunting on private lands in the Upstate region away from the S.C. Department of Natural Resources in 2008 and wrote new laws to govern hunting there.
The law as written in 2008 simply stated: “In Game Zones 1 and 2, it is unlawful to pursue deer with dogs, and it is unlawful to bait for deer.”
According to Wilson’s opinion, since the law does not address hunting deer over bait in the Upstate region, you can't put out bait for deer, but if bait is present it is not illegal to hunt deer over that bait.
“What would happen is that wildlife law enforcement (agents) would not be able to make cases for hunting over bait in the Upstate,” said Cary Chamblee, a lobbyist for the wildlife federation.
Three Upstate senators — William H. O'Dell (R-Abbeville), Greg Gregory (R-Lancaster) and Floyd Nicholson (D-Lancaster) — introduced legislation earlier this month to rectify the legal issue. Chamblee is seeking a sponsor in the House for a bill with the same wording as the Senate bill, which simply adds seven words to the existing law: “or hunt deer by aid of bait.”
The Senate sent the bill to its Fish, Game and Forestry Committee, and once a sponsor in the House introduces a similar bill, it would go to the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.
The problem facing the legislators – and SCDNR enforcement – is that 2012 is the second year in a two-year session that ends the first of June. “In order for a bill to remain active, it has to cross over from one house to the other by the first of May, which is right at seven weeks,” Chamblee said. “One side has to pass the bill and send it to the other, so we have an uphill battle. It is late in the session to start a bill, but we felt an obligation to try to return traditional hunting to the Piedmont this year.”
Baiting for deer was never an issue in South Carolina until still-hunting for deer in coastal counties began to replace dog hunting – a tradition since colonial times – as large tracts of land began to be broken up in the last half of the 20th century and bought by hunters who preferred to hunt from stands.
Since baiting had never been an issue, no laws prohibited it in the Lowcountry.
When deer hunting was introduced in the Upstate region in the late 1950s, the Wildlife Department, which has since been reorganized into SCDNR, prohibited dog-hunting for deer and baiting for deer by regulatory authority granted by the legislature. Those regulations stood until 2008, when the legislature voted itself authority for hunting on private lands in the Upstate.

Source "South Carolina Sportsman"
grey duck
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 am

Very interesting.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby grey duck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 pm

So CarolinaGreenhead, how many bushells can I put you down for?
grey duck
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:54 pm

grey duck wrote:So CarolinaGreenhead, how many bushells can I put you down for?

:huh: ......... :lol:
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm

It was kind of hard for me to follow all of the quotes and information so let me get this straight. Is it now legal to dump corn and then hunt deer over it? And if so is it because the law preventing has expired and no longer in affect or did they change the law?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

I did some research on it and it seems they are trying to fix the law to make it illegal to bait for deer and to hunt over it, it said they are trying to just add to the law to make it so law enforcement can actually enforce it and right tickets, butt they only have 7 weeks to do so and if they cant do it in time then the law will no longer exist making it legal to bait. Do i have it right now? I think i said some of the things you did i just want to make sure i got it right.
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby grey duck » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:27 am

callumcuffumkillum wrote:I did some research on it and it seems they are trying to fix the law to make it illegal to bait for deer and to hunt over it, it said they are trying to just add to the law to make it so law enforcement can actually enforce it and right tickets, butt they only have 7 weeks to do so and if they cant do it in time then the law will no longer exist making it legal to bait. Do i have it right now? I think i said some of the things you did i just want to make sure i got it right.

You've got it! General session is over. Bottom line, Its not happening this year.
grey duck
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 am

Sweet, should be a great year in the upstate! I live in the lowcountry and baiting is legal but in reality baiting doesn't kill bucks in the lowcountry. Sure you will see tons of does and small bucks feeding but hardly ever a shooter deer actually coming to the stand to eat the corn because they know better. Upstate bucks however do not!
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting