new to waterfowl hunting in SC

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

new to waterfowl hunting in SC

Postby mgeesnhr » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:46 am

Hey guys,

Hoping some of the waterfowl hunters in the upper state or lower part can help me. Theres a chance ill be leavin the military mid next year and if so i plan to come back to ole cherokee county SC. The reason i need advice is I grew up hunting deer and turkey back home but never waterfowl. Got stationed over here on the west coast in 2003 and got into waterfowl hunting and now for 9 years all ive done is eat breath and sleep waterfowl hunting. Im hoping that if i have to come home i can start the SC waterfowl season with a bang. if you guys have any info that can help it'll be much appreciated.

thanks
MGEESNHR
mgeesnhr
Newb

Re: new to waterfowl hunting in SC

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:09 am

If you want good hunts then head towards the coast. Really!
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby mgeesnhr » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:58 am

I figuered the coast would be the main stay to hunt so how hard is it to find public land to hunt the coastal areas. Here in washington state theres alot of coastal public land to hunt and the coastal areas produces real good puddle duck, diver duck, and sea duck hunting.
mgeesnhr
Newb

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 am

Well you won't find the numbers you had out West but there is decent hunting if you look hard enough. Unfortunately there is not that much public duck hunting land in sc, pretty much just the lakes and rivers. Unlike most states our state owned land is used for draw hunts that your lucky to get selected for every other year. The state owns thousands of acres of great duck hunting but on the coast but like I said you have to get drawn. If you put in your time scouting you can find some good spots though. Anywhere you can get by boat from public lakes/rivers you can hunt as long as it's not protected. Lots of people hunt up in the creeks next to plantations on the coast and you can see tons of ducks that way but its just pass shooting and make sure they don't land on the dikes, lots of people get tickets
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Stump Jumper #1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Callumcuffum, I don't know where you hunt in SC, but there is shitloads of public land to hunt! Santee Cooper lakes encompasses 177,000 acres! Plus the other MANY lakes in this state. Now...on to the MANY rivers we have. The Cooper, Edisto, Ashepoo, Combahee and let's not forget the North and South Santee! That's just around the coastal area. The Francis Marion is 250,000 acres loaded with ponds! And yes, there are state draw hunts. They are by FAR the best places to kill a limit of ducks! So yes there IS plenty of PUBLIC land to hunt in and on!
Stump Jumper #1
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:41 am

Yes you are right, i should have been more clear. There is a point of public water to hunt. I meant more so of waterfowl managed areas. When sc obtains land just for ducks they use it for draw hunts instead of WMA for public use like most states. These areas are by far the best as you said. There are plenty places to hunt but unfortunately the prime areas, mainly the coast are off limits.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:05 am

Welcome new hunter. Not sure where some of the above posters get their information :huh: , but the entire SC coast that is not impounded or part of some refuge is open for public hunting. There are also many class 3 waterfowl areas located throughout the state that are open to any legal hunter on certain days, In addition there are areas on nearly all lakes and rivers that are open to public hunting. We may not have the quality areas like Arkansas or Missiouri, but we have plenty of areas that are open to the public. Just leave your airboats in another state cause SC don't allow them during duck season anymore. Welcome back and good hunting.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting