decoy anchors

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

decoy anchors

Postby CUT'EM! » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm

not sure about buying decoy anchors pre made but i do like the texas rigged version of them, premade with swivels attached to the clips. I'm sure I could make these, but with time and the cost to make, would it even be worth it? I do like the way the J weights work. Let me know what kind of cord, weights, and hooks and swivels you guys use. I appreciate it.
CUT'EM!
hunter

Re: decoy anchors

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Save yourself some money and make them yourself. I didn't use swivels but ran some 400 lb mono through the eye on the decoy then made a loop in the end and run the tag end through the loop 3 times and crimp it. On the other end, put a 4 oz egg sinker on the line then make the loop again, running the tag end through 3 times and crimp it. Now you have a loop to grab onto and a loop to hook them on a carbiner. Found this method on youtube. Swivels would probably add more movement to the decoy though.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:19 am

Just made about 10 dozen myself with what I call texas rig style (weight does not slide, decoy is attached to swivel that slides up and down the line, so decoy slides up and down, self adjusting) with loops on both ends and am changing out all my shallow water dekes. So easy to put out and pick up.

Bought all my supplies on ebay
400 lb mono
cheap aluminum caribeners
cheap floats (to keep from dropping caribeners)
crimps (make sure will fit mono)
biggest swivels you can find
egg sinkers
good pair of crimping pliers

just remember to allow for length of loops you make on ends of lines when measuring or your lines will be too short. :fingerhead:

Add at least 4-6 inches to the length you want the lines to be for each loop end when cutting- if want 48 inch lines, cut the mono to 58 inches.

Also cut the mono with razor blade at angle instead of using cutters so it will slide through the weights easier.

I had fun making mine and would be glad to offer advice to anybody wanting to make their own.

Good luck.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 am

I cant find any mono without paying a lot for a whole spool
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting