Duck Hunting Forum banner

Wood duck decoy spreads

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bigsprig 
#1 ·
I hunt on the river in Myrtle Beach and I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on decoy spreads for Wood ducks etc. Thanks for the help

#2 ·
Typically woodys are pass shooting fun.usually because when they're flying they've almost always got a destination in mind but if they're jumped or shot at off another hole or swamp you can sometimes get them to decoy by putting just a few wood duck decoys in two groups on either side of you..but the will also land in with mallard decoys as well ive noticed they can be wary of goose decoys and definitely mechanical decoys ( mojos,edge flappers )

#3 ·
from my experience i have found that they typically dont decoy very well . yeah they might every now and then but if you do, put a spread out keep it small and like the last dude said no motion decoys. it wont hurt either to have/use a wood duck call i use the duck com. wd1. works pretty well sometimes

good luck

#7 ·
Yep, float your decoys where you jumped up the ducks! Just scout the shallow water that has acorns falling into it, and of course you jumped up some ducks. You will probably see a mallard or two in the oaks too.

#8 ·
Wood ducks can most certainly be decoyed and will do so quite easily, but you have to be in habitat they use.
For instance, if you are hunting a coastal river, bounded by impoundments, you aren't going to decoy the wood ducks you see crossing over the river. It's just not going to happen. They are going to the impoundments.
But if you are hunting a cypress swamp, branch, pond, etc, used by wood ducks, you can decoy them as easily as any other duck.
A few wood duck decoys in good site and the right calling will bring them in.
Forget the "hoo-eeeek" call that you hear others doing. Hen wood ducks do that when they are flying off, NOT when they are coming in or loafing on the water.
Find some, and take the time to watch them come in. Listen and pay attention to the calls they use to bring others in.
Clucks, shrieks, rolls, all will bring them in.
The "hoo-eeek" you hear bubbas do, are the reason bubbas never decoy wood ducks.

#10 ·
Woodies decoy well, but they do not care how you set the decoys, they just need to be able to see them.

I usually put in line like they are swimming against the current (if there is current), usually 6-8 in two lines. I also oversize the white areas on my decoys to make them more visible. personal preference not scientific or proven.

As to the call, keep on blowing it, sends them my way! :grooving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.